computer hacked

Discussion in 'General' started by csisten, Jun 29, 2009.

1. csisten

csisten New Member

hi brada's,

i need your help. i installed ubuntu + ispconfig through Falko's specification, all went fine, but i think a week ago i experienced some strange messages in the log files. There was a lot of break in attempt, i tried to reject the ip-address, i blocked it, but than it comes from an another. i can see in a mail.log, that someone is sending a lot of emails...spamming. i disabled smtp from the services of ispconfig. What could i do? Could someone help me?

regards:

Kaszi

2. Jolman

Jolman Member

Hi

Can you show log file of you mail server

3. bernholdt

bernholdt Member

If the install is brand new and you dont host many sites yet i would backub sites and databases then reinstall with stronger passwords. Install fail2ban and Ossec intrusion detection, to give more security.

It shouldnt take more than a couple of hours saturday night and your server is up and running again.

Check you ip at mxtoolbox if your blacklisted if so you should defently try and aquire a new ip othervise you can use the next year trying to get removed from blacklists. http://www.mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

4. csisten

csisten New Member

thx for your replies, i think, i found the weakness, there was a test e-mail account, with a very weak password. After i deleted this "user", and empty-ed postfix queue, it seems now it is working.

Is there any way, somehow to trace back "my friend"?

regards

Kaszi