Configure many forward mail addresses

Discussion in 'General' started by Beta2k, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Beta2k

Beta2k New Member

I am administering a domain for a client in ISPConfig 3.15. My task is to configure a mail address that should:

1. automatically reply to all incoming mails and (this feature is called *Autoresponder*)
    2. forward all incoming mails to a list of mail addresses.

Configuring the mail address that way works up until a certain point: When I enter the list of mail addresses for forwarding and confirm this, I get the following error:

Data too long for column 'cc' at row 1​

As a workaround I tried the following: I configured the mail address in ISPConfig but did not enter any mail addresses to forward. I then went to the webmail client (Roundcube) and tried to configure the forwarding there. I could enter a few mail addresses, but after the seventh or eighth I get the same error as before, just with slightly more details:

Soap Error: Data too long for column 'cc' at row 1 UPDATE `mail_user` SET `server_id` = '1', `email` [remaining SQL statement follows]​

My question is: How can I configure a mail address in ISPConfig that forwards incoming mails to more than 7 or 8 addresses?

I know that there is a separate feature in ISPConfig where I can forward mails to other mail addresses without having to create a mail account. However, then I cannot use the Autoresponder feature which I definitely need.

2. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

i don't see why you can't do what you say in the last sentence...

create your mailbox, eg [email protected], create your autoresponder as normal.
    create a mailforward, eg [email protected], enter all the required recipient addresses for this mailforward.
    configure your mailbox in ispconfig 'send copy to' to send mail to [email protected]

bear in mind that if postfix is set to restrict mail to more than x recipients, then setting more addresses than x in the mailforward will still cause problems.

3. Beta2k

Beta2k New Member

Ah, I didn't think of the possibility to create an extra-step by using forwarder[at]domainA.com. I will try it later and report back. Thanks for now.

4. Beta2k

Beta2k New Member

just one more question: which mail address will the final recipient see as the sender from the mail? will it be forwarder[at]domainA or will it be the original sender's mail address?

5. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Try it and see.

6. Beta2k

Beta2k New Member

Just tried it and it seems to work. Just one more thing: The sender of the Autoresponder mail is shown as the mail-address. Is it possible to show the name of the mail account?