Configure SMTP Port

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by GHz, Jul 14, 2009.

1. GHz

GHz New Member

Mail not sending

Hi all,

I have a local test domain from which I wanteed to test if I could send an email to an external domain. But when I send the email, I dont receive anyting on my external mail account. So I checked the mailQueue, and this was in it:

I read somewhere on the forum that this means that amavis isnt running, is this true? If so, How to start amavis? I followed the tutorial for Debian 5.0 (Lenny)(click).

Thanks in advance!

P.S.
    Sory for the weird topictitle, but I couldnt change it afterwards

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

no. Thats not your problem. Is the IP address that you xxxx'ed out the IP of the local server?

3. GHz

GHz New Member

No it's an external IP address, not from my internal network

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Please make sure that your server isn't blacklisted: http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

Is the remote server hosted in a data center or somewhere at home/in an office? In the latter case it is possible that the ISP is blocking port 25.

5. GHz

GHz New Member

The mailserver I am sending the message from is at home, where I am sending to is Hosted in Amsterdam. I think that you are right about my ISP blocking port 25, how to change that port to another, and also make ISPC check (for checking if the service is up) the other port, not 25?

I have not yet forwarded any ports in my router, but I don't think thath that would solve the problem because thath would only allow me to receive mail from external networks, which isnt needed as of yet, it would also allow me to send mail from an external network to this mailserver which is also not needed as of yet. Sending mails from this mailserver can be done without forwarding any port, right? Sending emails internal works great (sending and receiving)!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  6. till

You can not run your mailserver on a different port then 25 as other mailservers will not know which port to use then. You should put your mailserver into a datacenter were you get a fixed IP address.

7. GHz

GHz New Member

Hmm, that sucks. I'll think about putting my server in some datacenter, thanks!

8. GHz

GHz New Member

Hi again,

It seemed that I had to adjust my ISPs firewall, so it works now. One question though: Is postfix an open relay by default, if so, how to close it?

Thanks!

9. till

Postfix is no open relay by default and if you followed the installation instructions, your server is no open relay. Use this for testing:

http://www.abuse.net/relay.html

10. dzudzu

dzudzu New Member

i don't think it's open relay by default and their web confirms it:

By default, Postfix has a moderately restrictive approach to mail relaying. Postfix forwards mail only from clients in trusted networks, or to domains that are configured as authorized relay destinations

in ispconfig setup any local or password authenticated user can send to anyone

11. GHz

GHz New Member

Thanks, going to test it soon. I'm currently on vacation. :)

12. GHz

GHz New Member

Thanks till, you were right, I have no open relay.