configuring my own DNS : Am I wrong ?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by burtathis, Mar 7, 2006.

1. burtathis

burtathis New Member

Hi,

I want to use my own DNS, so when i bought a new domain (petiteboitesansfond.net) i put this infos in configuration pannel of ovh.net (my registrar) :

- I put one entry :
    ns1.petiteboitesansfond.net A 82.227.0.130
    - I waited a while and i add a host :
    ns1.petiteboitesansfond.net with IP= 82.227.0.130
    - And finally i change the DNS entry to :
    primary : ns1.petiteboitesansfond.net
    secondary : dns.ovh.net

- After that, i made a new website in ispconfig with :
    co-domain : 192.168.0.5 ns1 petiteboitesansfond.net
    - And, in the domain :
    primary : ns1.petiteboitesansfond.net
    secondary : dns.ovh.net

Now, when i ping ns1.petiteboitesansfond.net, it is unreachable and it show my internal IP (192.168.0.5).

Of course i can't reach http://petiteboitesansfond.net or http://www.petiteboitesansfond.net

Did i forgot some steps ?

Thanks in advance !

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The problem with this setup is, that you have only one domain.

It is not possible that the nameserver of a domain (petiteboitesansfond.net) is only reachable by the domain itself or a subdomain (ns1.petiteboitesansfond.net).

Thats the Hen <==> Egg problem :)

If you have only one domain, I recommend that you create the A and MX records for petiteboitesansfond.net in the DNS servers of your registrar ovh.net and do not use your local DNS manager in ISPConfig. If you get a second domain, you can configure the second domain in ISPConfig DNS-Manager without problems.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  3. burtathis

burtathis New Member

Thanks !

It's funny ! i had this feeling about the "hen-egg" problem...

So, to be sure i understood : if i have a domain aaa.org and a second domain bbb.org,

can i use for aaa.org :
    primary DNS : bbb.org
    secondary DNS : aaa.org

and for bbb.org :
    primary DNS :aaa.org
    secondary DNS : bbb.org

I am sorry, i only start to put my nose in those "concepts" but feel it still the same aviary problem !

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Not completely, but better :) You must think of DNS as something like an addressbook. Its useless if you ask "where is the address book" and the actual location of the address book is noted in the address book itself.

So:

if you have aaa.org and bbb.org:

Configure aaa.org at your registrars DNS, set an A-Record ns1.aaa.org pointing to your server IP and an A-Record ns2.aaa.org, pointing to your secondary DNS servers IP or in case you own only one server, let ns2.aaa.org point also to your servers IP address.

Now if you get domain bbb.org, you can set the primary DNS to ns1.aaa.org and the secondary DNS to ns2.aaa.org.

On your server, you create a primary DNS Record for bbb.org.

If you enter now bbb.org in a browser, the nameserver on your server will be asked for the correct IP for bbb.org and its subdomains.

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

6. burtathis

burtathis New Member

Thanks Till and Falko,

I follow all your advises and i pay attention to put external IP for the DNS entry in ispconfig.

When i ping http://gastfall.org it show the good external IP and when i make a whois gastfall.org, it show the good entries for dns :

Name Server:NS1.PETITEBOITESANSFOND.NET
    Name Server:NS2.PETITEBOITESANSFOND.NET

but... the website still unreachable outside my network

any clues ?

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

It's working for me. Is this your IP address? 82.227.0.130

You might have to wait up to 72 hours until DNS changes propagate over the internet.

8. burtathis

burtathis New Member

Realy ? do you see gastfall.org ? great !!

and, yes 82.227.0.130 it's my IP !

ok, ok ! i'm forced to watch tv for 72h :D

Thanks a lot