Configuring Postfix : is Howtoforge tutorial up to date?

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by Keoz, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Keoz

Keoz Member

Hi,

I am configuring Postfix for the first time....
    This Howtoforge tutorial points 6 parameters that have to be set for Postfix configuration to work with Gmail as “relayhost“ : https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/configure-postfix-to-use-gmail-as-a-mail-relay/

/// Q1 ///
    Can I rely on it even if my “relayhost“ is different (see my settings below) ?

/// Q2 ///
    Do I still need to add and set missing parameters (see my settings below), or does this depends on how Postfix was installed (package included in ISPConfig installation code) ? Should these be set like shown in the tutorial (seems like default settings) ?

/// Q3 ///
    Setting entry for “smtp_sasl_password_maps“ is default after ISPConfig installation, should it remains as is, or be change to entry shown in the tutorial ?

/// MAIN.CF FILE SETTINGS ///
    relayhost = [smtp.free.fr]:25
    smtp_use_tls (missing)
    smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
    smtp_sasl_security_options =
    smtp_sasl_password_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_sender-relayauth.cf, texthash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
    smtp_tls_CAfile (missing)

Regards,

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This tutorial is not for ISPConfig systems, do not follow it if you are using ISPConfig. If your ISPConfig system shall relay through another server, then all you have to do is to set the relay server, username, and password under System > server config > mail.

3. Keoz

Keoz Member

Done, thank U
    Much other parameters under the “Email“ tab, are there any that I should modify, or any check-box I should pay attention to ?

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3.2.4 also has per-domain relaying, if eg. only one domain should use it.

ahrasis likes this.
  5. atle

atle Member HowtoForge Supporter

Interesting, where do I find this?

6. Keoz

Keoz Member

I don't understand what is this post about !

atle likes this.
  7. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can enable it in the main config: System -> Main config -> Mail. After that, you can add it to the limits of the client template.
    The admin can always use it for any client if it's enabled in the main config. You can view the settings under the mail domain settings.
    Instead of relaying all traffic, there is a option to relay it for certain domains.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    atle and ahrasis like this.
  8. atle

atle Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thanks, a tip how to to find it:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Th0m and till like this.