Configuring Raid 0,1 on Debian Lenny

Discussion in 'Suggest HOWTO' started by sighkick, Apr 7, 2009.

1. sighkick

sighkick New Member

I am in the process of setting up a new Debian 5.0 Lenny based VMware 2.0 server and will follow your most excellent tutorial, however....

Have had no end of trouble trying to install RAID 1 [Mirroring] with two 120Gb SATA HDD on a motherboard with the Promise PDC20378 RAID Controller chip.

There is some reference to RAID 10 on an older version of Ubuntu but I am unsure how to modify this to my requirements.

Am assuming that although Linux RAID is called Fakeraid, you still connect your array of drives to the onboard RAID connection [in my case SATA_RAID1 and SATA_RAID2] as you do for Windows?

I also assume that the RAID array has to be set up early in the installation of Debian minimal install as per your tutorial.

Can you assist with a short Tutorial please?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

3. sighkick

sighkick New Member

Thanks for your reply....

I am assuming that I do not connect my SATA HDD to the two RAID outlets on my motherboard and instead simply connect to the two normal SATA connections?

The reason I ask is because when setting up RAID in Windows, I have to install drivers to make it work and just assumed that Linux would do something similar?

I confess that all this is terribly confusing - do I need to look for Linux Promise RAID drivers?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I don't have any experience with hardware RAID - I'm always using software RAID, so I can't tell anything about drivers...

If you want to use software RAID, connect the drives to the normal SATA connections.