Confused about daily backups

Discussion in 'General' started by TonyG, Nov 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

I've looked at /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/classes/cron.d/500-backup.inc.php and /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/classes/backup.inc.php. As I was doing recent testing after one of the nightly backup events, the compressed backup files were huge, including files from many external folders like /etc and /home. It was a very complete backup, not just the docroot of a site. I don't know what caused this, and I don't want that all the time. After clearing the backups folder, all I have seen since then are docroot-level backups.

I'd like to understand how to get that more complete backup, and what determines its content, so that I can confidently schedule these and other events and do proper disaster recovery planning.

I'm hoping this leads to finding a complete doc somewhere about exactly how the backup/restore process works. There is a lot of old and invalid data in these forums to sift through. Doing so is very time consuming. As always, I'll be quite happy to write what I learn into the new doc site.

To be clear, all of us need to ensure the safety of our environments. All of us are faced with choices about toolking. We can use Bacula and other tools to create our own backup solutions. But we need to understand the abilities of this one package so that we know how to use and augment it for our individual needs. Please help point the way to information that will make all of this clear - even if that means just pointing to code in the absence of existing documentation.

Thanks!

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I think you saw backups that were made when updating your ISPConfig with the update script, and the other backups are normal web backups.