Connect servers to each other with ISPConfig

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Andy Goldau, Apr 7, 2024.

1. Andy Goldau

Andy Goldau New Member

Hello everyone,

I have switched from DirectAdmin to ISPConfig for cost reasons. I now have three different Debian servers with ISPConfig and would like to connect them together. This was always very easy with DirectAdmin and other control panels, but apparently not with ISPConfig. I would also like to use it to create my own DNS nameserver.

I hope someone can help me solve this problem.

Kind regards
    Andy

PS: Of course, I had previously consulted the usual AIs, but unfortunately I was given instructions that are not available in the control panel.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Connecting servers with ISPConfig is easy; see multiserver installation guides. The systems are connected at install time.

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ispconfig-multiserver-setup-debian-ubuntu/

The guide also works for Ubuntu 22.04 and Debian 12. You can have all services on all servers; just take care to install the systems in the interactive mode of the auto-installer so you can choose to join the master server and take care that the MariaDB root user is able to connect from the slave node on the master before you add the new slave.

Do not ask AI about ISPConfig; the answers are complete nonsense. Read installation instructions and the manual and you can find alsomost all questions already answered here in the forum. Instead, go to the ISPConfig website and click on documentation. There, you will find the links to all the installation guides, including the multiserver guides you should have followed to set up your system.

ahrasis and Th0m like this.
  3. Andy Goldau

Andy Goldau New Member

Hi Till,

Thanks for the very quick and detailed reply.

Do I understand correctly that I need to reinstall the servers and run the setup in ISPConfig Multiserver? Does the multi-server setup only need to be run on one server or on all servers?

Kind regards
    Andy

4. till

If you installed all three servers as single servers, you must reinstall 2 of them; the other one can be used as the master.

The steps are:

1) Format two of the three servers so they are a clean Debian 12 minimal system again. The server that remains will become the master server that controls your multiserver setup and will serve as login system for you and your clients.
    2) Add two new MySQL (MariaDB) root users on the master server, which will allow login from the two other servers as a MySQL root user.
    3) Install ISPConfig on the two other servers with the auto installer in interactive mode and choose to join the master server during installation. The installer will ask for the mysql root login of the master, which you created in step 2. Do not install an ispconfig interface on the two systems, as your multiserver setup gets controlled by the master server.

And read the full multiserver install guide before you start, so you understand the procedure. It explains also how to create the mysq root users etc.

ahrasis likes this.
  5. BrettP-

BrettP- New Member

Is there a new link to updated manual?
    I am using 3.2.11p2, but the manual shows 3.1 from 2016.

6. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

7. till

I'm working on a new manual. But the recent multiserver installation guides are all available online anyway, see link from @Taleman .

ahrasis and Th0m like this.