Connecting to web using shared IP not DNS name

Discussion in 'General' started by toceguera, Dec 28, 2007.

1. toceguera

toceguera New Member

Hi,

This may be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway because I can't find anything on the web. I have ISPConfig installed and working great but I have an issue where I am getting ready to move a website from another server to the ISPConfig server. The existing website is running a Drupal installation and is live.
    I have setup the new web for use but I cannot test the site because I cannot change the DNS registrar until I am sure it is working correctly. How can I connect to a specific web on my ISPconfig server without using the domain name?

Thanks

2. wpwood3

wpwood3 New Member

That may be the most commonly asked question on the ISPConfig forum. It should be part of a FAQ. If you use the search you will find the answer.

Short answer is that ISPConfig only works with domain names...not IP addresses. Quick fix is to modify the hosts file on your client PC and add an entry for your domain name and the IP of your new server. Your PC will look to the hosts file first before going out to dns servers when trying to resolve your domain name.

3. toceguera

toceguera New Member

Cheers

Thanks I figured that one out a few minutes after I posted. I just didn't want to have to change back and forth over and over again. But I just changed the host file on a virtual machine and made that work.

Thanks for your quick reply

I'll consider this closed.