Contact Form 7 not working on Ubuntu/nginx/ISPconfig 3 server

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by KZ Amadeus, Jun 2, 2018.

1. KZ Amadeus

KZ Amadeus New Member

Hello, I just followed this tutorial:

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/perfect-server-ubuntu-with-nginx-and-ispconfig-3/

I migrated my shared hosting to my shiny new VPS server. I have to say, I am very very nervous. I am a total beginner to this.

After some tweaking, everything is working - Wordpress, nginx, etc. But I notice on my website Contact Form 7 doesn't work anymore. Basically, when you hit submit to send the contact form, the icon just spins and spins. No error, no nothing. It just doesn't work.

What do I do? Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. I'm considering canceling the VPS and going back to shared hosting I am so scared :(

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Check PHP and nginx logs to see what happens when submitting. If that does not help, check other logs. Then maybe raise log level to get more verbose logs.

ahrasis likes this.
  3. ztk.me

ztk.me ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Well, maybe it is better to use shared hosting or cheap managed server / service maybe. Seems you really can't help yourself with some very basics ... Maybe setup a virtual machine or old notebook as a learning object first before connecting it to hyperspeed.

ahrasis likes this.
  4. KZ Amadeus

KZ Amadeus New Member

where should I start looking? In ISPconfig, a lot of the logs are blank or says it can't access them.

5. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Directory /var/logs. The log directory of the website. Study Ubuntu and ISPConfig manuals.

ahrasis likes this.
  6. KZ Amadeus

KZ Amadeus New Member

I checked nginx and php logs. There's no errors in there and the logs are short. Basically, php mail is not working. ie, Wordpress wont send any emails. So from what I can see, this is either a problem with postfix/sendmail or a problem with nginx.

Any more guidance would be greatly appreciated. I really have no idea how to fix this.

7. KZ Amadeus

KZ Amadeus New Member

my postfix logs are saying this...not sure if this means anything :(

Code:
    Jun  2 16:50:02 newyork1 postfix/smtpd[1390]: connect from localhost[::1]
    Jun  2 16:50:02 newyork1 postfix/smtpd[1390]: lost connection after CONNECT\
     from localhost[::1]
    Jun  2 16:50:02 newyork1 postfix/smtpd[1390]: disconnect from localhost[::1\
    ] commands=0/0

8. KZ Amadeus

KZ Amadeus New Member

Well, without much advice from you guys, I decided to just reimage the server and start the tutorial all over again. Everything is working fine now. It looked like a postfix issue. Re-imaging was much faster than troubleshooting.

till likes this.
  9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

That's ISPConfig, it checks if the postfix server is reachable once a minute, so that's not related to your issue.

ahrasis likes this.
  10. KZ Amadeus

KZ Amadeus New Member

As I mentioned in my first post, I'm a total beginner. These one line replies don't help. It would've been great if someone told me precisely where to look, by default.

I appreciate the help, but everyone here comes off as really arrogant when they just say "read manual" or "check logs" - yea no kidding, that's why I'm here. I don't know what logs to even begin with.

Of course, appreciate the help till. Not directed at you

11. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You solved your issue by reinstalling already, so why shall I write a long post for a solved issue as you won't even be able to further investigate it after reinstall. I just answered the question that was still open and explained to you that these lines are from ISPConfig system monitor.

ahrasis likes this.
  12. KZ Amadeus

KZ Amadeus New Member

Yes yes I agree. Your posts have helped me a lot, thank you till. I really do appreciate it.

I was referencing the first 2 guys who cannot even tell me the directories to check for logs, instead simply saying "buy the manual" which is good advice overall but does nothing for the specific issue.

Again, thank you

13. ztk.me

I'm very sorry if it seemed arrogant to you what I said. My issue are people who don't have a clue about what they are doing and doing so live on the public internet where the slightest mistake can cause big issues for others because u got part of a botnet or alike.

Then you come back and need help because your company shut down your server cause of illegal activity, you need your data or howto fix that while others still check their logs what happened to their own servers ( ok, same ppl unlikely but kind of ).

That's why I hinted to first play with a new toy locally before going live. For the same reason I like the idea why people need to prove they can drive a car, not only on their own backyard that is. A tiny virtual server ... still dangerous to you and others.

Of course you can do whatever you want - so do I, trying to protect you from what I think might be a mistake and a problem for others / chance for criminals. So I did not post case specific help but posted something to consider, didn't mean to be arrogant.

14. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Agreed. Re-installation won't allow us to investigate any issues further. However, study them (as they are normally reported in the site's and/or server's logs or if they aren't, we can surely enable debug), will help us enhance our knowledge in our daily server management and resolve them in a proper, mature way if they happen again in the future.

15. KZ Amadeus

KZ Amadeus New Member

Thank you, I do appreciate everything you do. It's just that, when you are a beginner like me, everything is intimidating.

Speaking of security, do you have any links or suggestions? I changed the SSH port, disable root login and added an alternate root user. I also changed the ports of ISPconfig, phpmyadmin, etc.

What else can I do to secure my VPS?

Thank you.

16. ztk.me

keep it up2date and know the softare you're running. Even an up2date apache with mod_security and whatnot doesn't protect one from lets say for research enabling mod_proxy and allowing everybody to abuse you as proxy...
    so in general there is only one two links I can give you ( no irony ) google.com and a link on the bash: $man man
    learn how a basic request from your browser to the webserver to your application code and back actually works, get used to lnux, at least learn the very basics.

Hmm maybe one link ... http://www.lpi.org/how-to-get-certified/free-training-materials >> https://www.linuxcertification.co.za/sites/default/files/linux-esentials-manual.pdf may work as a reference - just to name one of thousands good online resources