Convert single-server system to multi-server

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by philgardner, Mar 26, 2014.

1. philgardner

philgardner Member

I have been running ISPConfig 3 in single-server mode for some time, and now I want to change to a two-server (master/slave) setup.

The manual tells me how to set the master and slave up from scratch, but can I convert my existing server into the new master server by just modifying the configuration? Or do I have to back up, reinstall ISPConfig in expert mode, and then restore the data?

I have tried to find the answer to this, but without success. Sorry if I've missed something obvious!

Phil

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which kind of setup do you want to install? A mirror setup or a setup where server 1 and b are hosting different websites?

3. philgardner

philgardner Member

A mirror setup.

4. philgardner

philgardner Member

Hi Till, did you see my reply to your question? I want to convert my current single-server setup to a mirrored setup, so I'd like to know if I can convert the current server to become the master server by altering some settings, or if I have to reinstall ISPConfig in Expert mode to make it the master. Hope you can help - thanks.

Phil Gardner

5. till

It is possible but net that easy. you will have to install the base system on the second server, before you install ispconfig at the end, setup a mysql master/master replication between the two servers. Then copy over all web* users and client* groups from /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group and /etc/gshadow to the new sserver. Then install ispconfig on the second server as described in the guide, it is important that you use dbispconfig2 as database name and ispconfig2 as username. then setup unison on the first server, to mirror the www and vmail data. as last step, set the second server to be a mirror of the first one in ispconfig and run a resync with tools > resync.

6. philgardner

philgardner Member

Thank you! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply. One thing is concerning me - I think I read somewhere that a master server has some extra database tables - is that right? If so, how do I set them up?

7. till

No. Each ispconfig server uses the same database tables. It does not mater if its a standalone, server, master or slave.