Copy setup to new server, smtp home dir wrong

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by catdude, Mar 10, 2008.

1. catdude

catdude ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I'm attempting to set up a failover server for my primary ISPConfig machine. I've got the 2nd machine running, and most functions seem to be running fine. However, when I attempt to send e-mail to domains on the failover box I experience an error. Specifically, postfix logs a message:
    "Mar 9 18:59:27 pr-nwtn postfix/local[26491]: F41E44C0BC: to=<test@<customerdomain>.com>, relay=local, delay=17, status=bounced (maildir delivery failed: create /home/test/Maildir/tmp/1205107167.P26491.ga.<work domain>.net: Permission denied)"

The /etc/postfix directory is the same between both machines (aside from adjusting for IP address difference). The /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files are also the same. /etc/courier/userdb appears to be correct, in that I can make POP and IMAP connections using the same user names and passwords as used on the primary server.

So, where is postfix looking for the home dir to deliver the incoming mail to? What have I likely misconfigured to get Postfix to try to deliver to the wrong directories?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please double check that all users created by ISPConfig exist with the same home directories on the second server. Compare the two /etc/passwd files for this.

Also post the content of the main.cf file, comments stripped.

3. catdude

catdude ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Yep, I verified that the target account exists on both machines with the same UID. The user's mail directory exists, same owndership and permissions on both machines.

Further info: most e-mail addresses work. Only a few generate this error. Further testing this morning shed more light. The exact error message was:
    Mar 10 08:21:54 pr-nwtn postfix/local[9189]: warning: maildir access problem for UID/GID=15546/100: create /home/test/Maildir/tmp/1205155314.P9189.ga.<work domain>.net: Permission denied

The UID for the target user (test@<client domain>.com)is 17399. The UID in the error message above belongs to a system account for a user named "test". I'm going to try deleting the system account and the malfunctioning user account, then recreate the user account, and see if that changes things any.

main.cf on the new server contains:

smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Debian/GNU)
    biff = no
    append_dot_mydomain = no
    myhostname = ga.<work domain>.net
    alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
    alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
    myorigin = /etc/mailname
    mydestination = /etc/postfix/local-host-names
    relayhost =
    mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
    mailbox_command =
    mailbox_size_limit = 0
    recipient_delimiter = +
    inet_interfaces = all
    virtual_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtusertable
    home_mailbox = Maildir/

main.cf from the primary server contains:
    smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Debian/GNU)
    biff = no
    append_dot_mydomain = no
    myhostname = ge.<work domain>.net
    alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
    alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
    myorigin = /etc/mailname
    mydestination = /etc/postfix/local-host-names
    relayhost =
    mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
    mailbox_command =
    mailbox_size_limit = 0
    recipient_delimiter = +