Correct way to move sites from development to live in ISPConfig

Discussion in 'General' started by flywheel, Mar 27, 2015.

1. flywheel

flywheel New Member

I just started using ISPConfig and love it so far. I know there isn't a temporary URL for a new site you create, so I'm trying to figure out the best/most appropriate way to setup and test a site on the server and then make it go live with the correct URL. I am working with Joomla sites if it matters.

My approach so far has been to create a subdomain on a development site, say site1.devdomain.com. I tried renaming that website to finaldomain.com in the websites section of ISPConfig to no avail. I assume the vhosts don't get changed appropriately or something.

The approach I have now is a bit tedious and does cause a little more downtime than I'd like:
    • create subdomain on development domain site1.devdomain.com and get site working correctly
    • Backup site and download file
    • Create new website finaldomain.com and associated db, db user, etc.
    • Upload backup file to finaldomain.com's web folder from local machine via FTP (time consuming)
    • Restore website to finaldomain.com
    This may be the simplest, fastest, and safest way to do this, but it might not be, so I'm asking. Is there a better way to go about doing this? Even if it's just moving the backup file within the server and not having to download and upload it. I'm concerned the permissions will be off if I just brute force move things around.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Just change the domain name, I do that for all my sites when they go live. Which exact problem did you have with changing the domain name? You should be aaare that most cms systems save the domain in their settings or database and they will force a redirect to the old domain name, so you have to change the domain in joomla s well.

Lionheart82 likes this.
  3. flywheel

flywheel New Member

Thanks a ton for the reply.
    I bet it's the live_site url in the config file that caused the problem. I'm about to move another site and I'll try that. Great suggestion.

4. flywheel

flywheel New Member

I have one last (probably dumb) question. What's the best way to manually change the config file to the new live url without screwing up permissions? Will using SSH and sudo screw it up? Download and upload as the FTP user? Thanks.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The permissions dont get altered when you edit the file. In case that you create a new file as rt user, chown it to the web user and client group of this website (same user and group that the web folder has). If you use ftp with a user of that website, then the ownership is always correct.

6. flywheel

flywheel New Member

Ok, I had the site running on hallsab.devflywheel.com. I changed the site name to hallsautobodyinc.com in the ISPConfig website area. Nothing else. I'm getting a 500 error. The error seems related to FCGI. Looks like I manually need to change a reference somewhere based on this error:
    [Fri Mar 27 19:00:13.200113 2015] [fastcgi:error] [pid 4037] (111)Connection refused: [client 71.75.89.116:63012] FastCGI: failed to connect to server "/var/www/clients/client5/web8/cgi-bin/php5-fcgi-*-80-hallsautobodyinc.com": connect() failed

I really appreciate the help so far. Running PHP as FPM and using the default 5.5 for Ubuntu 14.04. Any ideas what I need to change?
    Edit: could it be something involving www-data and the apache service?

7. Lionheart82

Lionheart82 Member