Courier IMAP / POP3 error when re-creating ssl certificate

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Debian2009, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Debian2009

Debian2009 New Member

I followed "The Perfect Server -Debian Lenny (Debia 5.0) [ISPConfig 2]" up to item 13: Courier IMAP / POP3.
    When I run 'mkimapdcert', the following error message occurred.

When I restart the server, it seems there is no error during boot up.

Please advise if the error message will affect the functionality of the courier server.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can ignore the error message.

3. Debian2009

Debian2009 New Member

Thanks Falko.

I found that /usr/lib/courier/imapd.pem was softlink to /etc/courier/imapd.pem.
    (same for pop3d.pem)

I tried the following:

rm both imapd.pem files, then run 'mkimapdcert'. Now error message. imapd.pem was generated in /usr/lib/courier/. Then I mv the pem file to /etc/courier/ and re-create the softlink.

Are these steps OK.

I am setting up this mail server for internal LAN use (not open to the internet). Is setting up courier SSL server of any use?

Whenever I connect to the mail server using an email client (outlook, thunderbird), a message pop up saying that the certificate is not from a trusted source. How can I let the email client know that the certificate can be trusted and avoid the pop up message?

Thanks in advance.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I think so.

I don't think you need SSL inside your LAN (unless you don't trust the users in your LAN).

You'd have to buy a certificate from a trusted CA such as Verisign or InstantSSL.

5. Debian2009

Debian2009 New Member

Thanks Falko

Falko,

Thanks so much for clearing things up. :) :D