Courier to Dovecot migration help

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Turbanator, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Turbanator

Turbanator Member HowtoForge Supporter

Perfect Jessie (yes Jessie), Apache, Courier.
    I accidentally upgraded from ISPC 3.1.15 to 3.2.2 (now 3.2.3). I DID manage to change it to work with courier for now, but would like to migrate to dovecot before I upgrade to stretch to beyond.
    I recall old posts with a migration script, just wondering if it still applies, or if there is anything special I need to do.
    Thank you

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Turbanator likes this.
  3. Turbanator

Thank you so much.

4. Th0m

One more thing on updating your OS: after doing so, go through the perfect server guide for the new version to install all necessary packages and update configuration. After doing so, run a force update and let the script reconfigure services:
    Code:
    ispconfig_update.sh --force
    Or install a new system on Debian 10, either with the autoinstaller or the Perfect Server guide, and use the migration tool to move to the new system.

Turbanator likes this.
  5. Turbanator

Good notes. I did the migration tool on another server and was successful there, but this one will need to be in-place.
    Thank you again.

6. Th0m

Hi, any notes on the in-place change? Did it work fine?

7. Turbanator

I completely forgot what/how I did it, but I have to do an in place one one of these weekends. I will have to review this thread and all threads from previous years before I attempt this.

And just to be clear, you're asking about the email change from courier to dovecot, correct?

8. Th0m

Thanks for your quick reply!

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I have released this draft: https://www.howtoforge.com/communit...t-on-your-ispconfig-managed-mailserver.88523/
    could you use that and let me know if it works OK?

9. Turbanator

Excellent, I'll see if I can manage this for this coming weekend and let you know if I get anywhere.

10. Th0m

Thanks!

11. Th0m

I have updated the post now.

The things I need to know:
    - Is the guide OK?
    - Does the script work without problems?
    - Do end users notice anything (e.g. all messages are redownloaded)?

Thanks in advance for testing this. And make sure you have a good backup ;)

12. Turbanator

update: i got down to the script portion and then realized I never updated my ssl since june 2021 for control panel so SOAP couldn't connect (I assume ssl is the reason why)...and I'm running Jessie so certbot-auto won't renew. I had to revert and will try to figure out a way to manually create the cert data for letsencrypt and ispc cp then do it again.
    notes in process:
    -apt -y remove courier-authdaemon didn't actuallly remove the service. When I went back to revert, I didn't need to install it again, just started up all courier-xxxx processes without issue.
    -for curl I had to curl -k due to ssl issue.

13. Turbanator

update 2: I managed a workaround to the CP ssl issue and all worked well.
    excellent work putting all the notes together.

The ending of the script only said logged out....no success or fail messages, but it I was fine with that.

14. Th0m

Which courier packages are installed and should be removed?

Thanks, glad to hear!

15. Th0m

PS: no client issues, e.g. with redownloading of messages?

16. Turbanator

I will know the answer to this on Monday when users come back, this server is only for a select few users.

17. Th0m

Alright, please let me know.

18. Turbanator

The packages that we stopped are all correct, but apt remove courier-authdaemon didn't seem to actually remove anything. I will wait untiil users reply on Monday before I remove the courier-* packages.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2022
  19. Th0m

Alright, let me know :)

20. Turbanator

User reported everything is working and no issues. Emails did not have to redownload (which seems a bit strange to me, but what do I know.). This is a success!

I now ran apt-get remove courier-authdaemon and that successfully removed the courier-* services.

till likes this.