Create subdomain for CMS - ispconfig3

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Poliman, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Poliman

Poliman Member

I would like to create subdomain blog.learningflow.net for main domain learningflow.net, where will be link to this blog. Blog site will have WordPress installed. How can I create and configure subdomain from ispconfig3 panel? Should I add 'A record' to DNS like this -> 'blog A server_ip_address' ? Should be new database etc for blog subdomain?
    Main directory for learningflow.net on server is (automatically created link) /var/www/learningflow.net/web and /var/www/clients/client2/learningflow.net/web.

2. ztk.me

ztk.me ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

If you manage your DNS records within ISPConfig for that domain and you don't have a
    * A server_ip
    record which is pointing to the correct IP, yes you need to add another entry like you mentioned.

Do you want that subdomain to point to a directory of the main domain which is already existing?
    Or do you want to create its own web folder?
    Then just add is as a new domain, you can use subdomains there, no problem - you don't have to use the create subdomain menu.

3. Poliman

Poliman Member

Thank You for reply. In this moment I added the A record with 'blog' entry to my own dns (it's on the vps where is ispconfig too). Main domain has own 'web' directory (application is inside 'application' directory which is inside 'web') and I would like put inside 'web' second directory like, for example 'blog' and there install wordpress.
    PS
    Is it possible to create subdomain within main domain's database?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Sure, it is up to you which database details you enter during wordpress install.

5. Poliman

Poliman Member

Thank You for reply. I have probably last question. When I will enter blog.learningflow.net in browser and after this I would like to be redirected to specify directory - in my case /web/blog - but without effect in browser like this blog.learningflow.net/blog. How could I do this? I suppose it's around redirects in subdomain options in ispconfig panel or/and .htaccess file.

6. ztk.me

You could also use Alias domains.
    Use "No Flag" for type selection

7. Poliman

Poliman Member

I don't know I got the clue. At the moment should I remove subdomain and add aliasdomain. Inside 'Web Aliasdomain' tab i have few fields (what should I put in):
    Aliasdomain - blog
    Redirect Type - No Flag
    Redirect Path - /web/blog/
    Auto-Subdomain - default value 'www.'
    SEO Redirect - empty

8. ztk.me

Aliasdomain - blog.domain.tld
    Redirect Type - No Flag
    Redirect Path - /blog/
    Auto-Subdomain - default value 'www.' ( only if you want it to become www.blog.domain.tld, elsewise say "none"
    SEO Redirect - empty

Thaddeus likes this.
  9. Poliman

Poliman Member

Thank You for answer. I thought that when I will want 'www.' I should configure it on dns server. :) So with config above I will have blog.learningflow.net and web browser shows blog.learningflow.net without '/blog' path after '.net' in URL, am I right?

PS
    I have one more problem. I have Ubuntu Server 14.04. There is installed ispconfig3. My website has files under /web/app_prod/aplikacja. Inside 'aplikacja' directory is 'public', which server doesn't see (there is main index.php file). All another files/directories are visible.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  10. ztk.me

Yes about your question regarding the adress bar.

Usually stuff not within /var/www will not work due to suexec only allows scripts from there.
    And since I don't know what you've done with your custom folder layout there ... could be anything, permissions not set, apache configuration ...

11. Poliman

Poliman Member

Thanks for reply. Problem was with .htaccess file. I created aliasdomain but after put in web browser blog.learningflow.net I am redirected to default apache html folder but not to /web/blog.

12. ztk.me

Ah now I get it ... I really thought you meant /web/app_prod/ like in /etc/something ... but I guess you meant /var/www/clients......./web , right?
    So it's working now?

13. Poliman

Poliman Member

Yes. I meant /var/www//clients.../web