Create users with FTP and no Email?

Discussion in 'General' started by joshenry, Mar 28, 2007.

1. joshenry

joshenry New Member

I've searched as much as I could but I can't seem to find a way to create users without email and just ftp access. Is there a way with ISPConfig?

Is there a way to have multiple users access the same FTP space without it being anonymous? And about the anonymous, what is the username and password to access that site. When I try anonymouse it still asks for a password. Tried anonymous but that doesn't work, as well as anon...just can't seem to get that one either.

Also, i can't seem to find my version # of ISPConfig to see if I need to update it or not.

(Sorry, somewhat of a Linux newb, however learning to learn faster ;-) )

Thanks.

2. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

Hi,

I have this on my wishlist too.
    At the moment it is not available within ISPConfig.
    However, Falko have told me that it will be available in future releases.

3. joshenry

joshenry New Member

Alright, so I'll have to play the waiting game on that. No problem there. how about:

Is there a way to have multiple users access the same FTP space without it being anonymous?

And about the anonymous, what is the username and password to access that site. When I try anonymous it still asks for a password. Tried anonymous but that doesn't work, as well as anon...just can't seem to get that one either.

Also, i can't seem to find my version # of ISPConfig to see if I need to update it or not.

4. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

As far as i know, every user has its own webspace.
    The user market as admin, uploads the site at http://www.yourdomain.tld. The other users within their own web at http://www.yourdomain.tld/~username

The anonymous account is defined within your /etc/proftpd.conf which is the configuration file for proftp.

To check the version of ISPCOnfig, click on Tools > Software version within the structure tree. The latest stable version is 2.2.11.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  5. joshenry

joshenry New Member

Oo....2.2.9 Maybe it's time to upgrade :-/ Hate upgrading production machines :-/

6. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

An update from 2.2.9 to 2.2.11 is possible in one step.

Make sure that you extract it within a location with enough diskspace to avoid problems.

7. joshenry

joshenry New Member

Is it worth it, doing a upgrade now? I'm only hosting one site with about 15 emails on it. Should I wait for the next release when there might be the change that I need on it?

Thanks again.

8. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

I do not know when the features you need will be released.

Since 2.2.9 there where several updates for ClamAV and SpamAssassin.
    I know you do not like to update on a production server, but for security reasons, it is a good idea to keep your system up to date.

9. demortes

demortes Member

The upgrade is pretty painless. You just have to make sure you have plenty of space. You just download the new ispconfig, cd install_ispconfig and ./setup

Everything takes care of itself...

10. joshenry

joshenry New Member

Well i'm going to do that tomorrow morning when there is no one in the office in case something decides to go wrong. Then I'll have time to restore from a backup ;-) yay ;-)

Thanks again for all your help!

11. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Before the update, you should make a backup of:

/root/ispconfig
    /home/admispconfig

and the ISPConfig mysql database.

And in case something goes wrong, dont panic :) Post the problem to the forums and we will try to help you.