Creating A Local Yum Repository (CentOS)

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Deleted member 19915, Aug 13, 2007.

1. The instructions on creating your own Yum Repository seem incorrect.

1) The following command downloads the rpms into a new directory named " --exclude=debug"

2) Various directory locations seem inconsistent. For instance, it says to copy your base rpms to /var/www/centos/base
    but the repository configuration file says:
    Which points to a non-existent directory.

Anyone else notice this? Of course I'm replacing the IP with my IP and source repository with a closer mirror.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2007
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I think this command must either go into two lines:

Code:
    rsync -avrt rsync://ftp.belnet.be/packages/centos/5.0/updates/i386 \ 
    --exclude=debug/ /var/www/html/centos/updates
    Or, if you want to write it in one line, remove the backslash:
    Code:
    rsync -avrt rsync://ftp.belnet.be/packages/centos/5.0/updates/i386 --exclude=debug/ /var/www/html/centos/updates

3. The point

Yes, I realize that and have already finished setting up my repository. The point is that the page is full of errors and such and as such hurts the reputation of Howto forge as a place to get quality tutorials.

To fix this tutorial you could edit each step or fix the yum.conf example. Since that yum.conf uses the standard repository directory structure, I think it best to fix each step to reflect the standard repository directory structure.

Should be
    Replacing 4 and i386 with your major version and architecture.
    Additionally you'll need some deeper directories. This is the correct location to copy the CD/DVD rpms.
    The repodata directory is also incorrect.
    Should be
    Otherwise your repodata directory will be in the same directory as your rpms.

As I already pointed out, the rsync command had an unnecessary escape which has now been fixed but also includes incorrect directories that will not work with the yum.conf example given.
    Should be
    You can additionally pipe this into mail to receive an email when updates are available.
    Now the original yum.conf example will work.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2007
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can send the author of the tutorial (thim) a private message, if you like. :)

5. Thanks falko, I sent him a private message.