Creating Subdomains

Discussion in 'General' started by teves, Apr 1, 2007.

1. teves

teves Member

Hello,

though I have found and read through quite a few posts in the forum, I am still not sure how to create a subdomain. Could someone please give a quick howto?

As far as I understood there are basically two ways creating a subdomain with ISPConfig. The first is to create a co-domain pointing to a folder, the second is to create a new web and a dns entry at your providers dns server.
    I'd appreciate very much if someone could give an explanation and the pros and cons of both methods.
    Also I'd like to know how the dns entries of method 2 would have to look like.

Thank you very much!
    Regards, Tom

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If you want subdomain.example.com and www.example.com/example.com to point to the same contents, then you don't need to forward subdomain.example.com to a certain folder. Forwarding is totally optional.

This applies if subdomain.example.com should be an independent web site that has nothing to do with www.example.com/example.com.

Regardless of which way you choose, you must create DNS records for the subdomain (and they are the same for both methods).