CRON issues - so hopefully a quick question

Discussion in 'General' started by dmgeurts, Apr 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. dmgeurts

dmgeurts Member

Trying to work out why a CRON job isn't running. I see in syslog that it's started but nothing appears in /private/ so I looked at the files under /etc/cron.d/ and the account, I see differences between accounts that I'm curious about and a path that doesn't exist.
    One type
    /etc/cron.d/ispc_chrooted_web00:
    Code:
    MAILTO=''
    SHELL='/usr/sbin/jk_chrootsh'
    10 */6 * * *  web00  /usr/bin/php -q -f /web/wp-cron.php >>/private/cron.log 2>>/private/cron_error.log #somedomain.org.uk
    /etc/passwd
    Code:
    web00:x:10100:10001::/var/www/clients/client1/web00/./home/web00:/usr/sbin/jk_chrootsh
    Another type
    /etc/cron.d/ispc_web01:
    Code:
    MAILTO=''
    SHELL='/bin/sh'
    */15 * * * *  web01  /usr/bin/php -f /var/www/clients/client0/web01/web/wp/wp-cron.php >/dev/null 2>&1 #maizymoo.com
    /etc/passwd
    Code:
    web01:x:10101:10002::/var/www/clients/client0/web01:/bin/false
    Why do the home folders in /etc/passwd not exist? and why are the log locations not working? I'm assuming they might be related. Some of them were working on a previous ISPconfig version, before these sites were migrated. I can see this as some sites have cron log files in /private/ but none of the new CRON jobs I've set have. I think the cron jobs do work, but the logs just aren't being generated.

And why the different shells? AFAIK these sites were created in the same way? Could this be due to differences between ISPconfig versions, being carried over when migrating between servers/version?

Any advice would be welcome in helping getting this sorted.

TIA.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The first cronjob is a chrooted cronjob, the second is one without chroot. The allowed cronjob types can be set in the client limits.

3. dmgeurts

dmgeurts Member

Ah thanks, yes that explains the chroot difference. Any idea about the dot in the path? Although even without the dot the path is invalid...

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The dot is required in the path, so don't remove it. The dot defines where the root of a chroot environment is.

5. dmgeurts

dmgeurts Member

Ah, another thing learned today. Still trying to figure out why the cron log files aren't being created/updated but making progress. Thank you!