cron jobs per user

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by arrn, Dec 7, 2006.

1. arrn

arrn New Member

is there anything planed to add a cron job interface to ispconfig ?
    if not i think it would be a perfect idea.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes, it is planned, but I don't know when it will be available.

3. NETabuse

NETabuse ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

there really is no need for this,, Maybe i'm wrong, but if a user has been granted shell access for their account, they should be able to perform crontab -e; So conjobs for the user are not a problem.
    I believe that the admin user for a domain would have access to any files you need to affect with cron jobs. all users in the webX group would have permissions to change the files (they should be group writable.)

If i'm wrong, let me know.

4. arrn

arrn New Member

sure if they have shell, but if not ?!?:cool:

5. NETabuse

True, web interface for the users crontab -e interface would be ideal. I was thinking about this earlier in the week, then just said to heck with it, i'll just throw shell access to the users who request scheduled tasks.

6. wpwood3

wpwood3 New Member

Web based cron controls

I would like to see web based cron in ISPConfig, too.

I have this in Plesk now and will miss it when I dump Plesk. Each user has access to a cron for their website and there is a system wide cron for root. It's not a must have but it is nice to have.

7. mlz

mlz Member

I disagree, I believe this is a must have for any host that wants to present a professional image. This issue and the lack of multi-server is probably ISPConfigs biggest downfalls to us, one that will hopefully be rectified sooner than later.

8. Compactman

Compactman New Member

Me to

Throw me on the list for this feature request as well.

9. tensor

tensor New Member

Giving ability to make cron jobs effectively gives user a shell, unless the admin approves/disapproves the entries in cron jobs.
    And it may involve user editable scripts, so even if the admin approves that, the user may change the script to make a back connecting shell.

10. Compactman

Compactman New Member

Then put a warning on the feature and give the admin control over the option if they want to enable it for the users account. Just because a security risk can be posed by the user who you have already granted access to an account does not mean the user is going to take advantage of it.

But don't cripple the software just because there may be less informed admins out there.

11. NETabuse

Well, one possible solution is to run in 2 modes, trusted and moderated mode, when the admin verifies a script take a hash of its current state, if the user alters the script then the hash is different, disable that script (reclassify as un moderated/verified)

12. Compactman

Compactman New Member

I like this idea

I really like this idea. This would be a perfect implementation of the feature keeping the white hats happy without stripping features.

13. marton_erno

marton_erno New Member

Nice Ideea ...

ISPConfig needs cron implementation asap. It's a big downside at the moment.

14. madmucho

madmucho ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Im for cron jobs too. It is good idea

15. Gimly

Gimly Member

Me too it's very good idea ^^

16. grandpagenocide

grandpagenocide ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Im for it :) I dont like giving shell, but dont like having to do it for them.

17. SupuS

SupuS Member HowtoForge Supporter

Nice idea .. I agree that ispconfig need this .. a lot of customers wanted this .. for this time I have to create cron recors manually for admin user of web .. but If customer change or delete this user setting is gone and customer is confused

18. Onyxenator

Onyxenator New Member

I'll put my vote for this too.

19. badran

badran New Member

This would most certainly be a great feature.

20. radim_h

radim_h Member HowtoForge Supporter

I vote for cronjobs too! :)
    it will be nice to have this feature without giving users th shell access..