Cron Jobs

Discussion in 'General' started by bernholdt, Jul 27, 2008.

1. bernholdt

bernholdt Member

When enabling the new Cronjob Feature how do you actually use it, what command is needed to run the cronjob :confused:
    Do you just type the path to the file needed to be executed or du you need more in the command field

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. torusturtle

torusturtle Member

1. Activate cron job in the site configuration tab
    2. Choose user from Email and User tab and activate cron job in dhe user settings
    3. Save user settings and choose same user again. You now have a new cron job tab.
    4. add cron job command like you would have done it in command line

4. Rockdrala

Rockdrala New Member

What are the new cron jobs for or what does it benefit?

5. JeGr

JeGr Member

If you didn't come along a problem, that needed crons, you certainly don't need them, I suppose ;)
    With that new feature one can allow customers to create their own little cron-jobs running under their user.

Greets

6. geoffmerritt

geoffmerritt New Member

Cron command line

When typing the path to the file in the command line, bear in mind that it is the path on the server that is needed.

Code:
    php /var/www/web11/web/crontest.php
    That is an example of mine, the crontest.php would be place in the root of your website in this circumstance.

Code:
    &> /dev/null
    the above code at the command line will stop any emails being sent to you after the cron has been executed, more is on the thread http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25291

Cron jobs execute a file at the time interval that you set, so if you need to send a reminder that a subscription is ending, create the relevant php file and execute it via cron rather than manually running it.

7. Appie Thrasher

Appie Thrasher Member HowtoForge Supporter

I am new with these cronjobs also if I understand it correctly i have to put the php in front off the command? mine would than look similar to:

Code:
    php /var/www/web8/web/administrator/components/com_eyesite/scanner.eyesite.php
    And I would like it to run every night at 04.95 Hour so I made these settings:
    Code:
    Please see attachment
    Any thoughts would be helpfull..

Attached Files:

• cron.jpg
      cron.jpg
      File size:
      18.7 KB
      Views:
  8. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

That's correct. It would even be better to use the full path to php, e.g. /usr/bin/php.

That's correct.

9. Appie Thrasher

Appie Thrasher Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thanks
    I have made it:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/php /var/www/web8/web/administrator/components/com_eyesite/scanner.eyesite.php
    I guess the dot at the end of usr/bin/php was to end the sentence.