Custom directives automatically added to ftpd virtual hosts

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by whitty, May 15, 2006.

1. whitty

whitty New Member

First of all, Hi, I'm whitty. I'd like to say thanks so much for the great package! I'm running a small scale homebrew webserver with a dynamic IP (dyndns setup) behind a m0n0wall (nat router), which makes it tricky to run any server, let alone all the servers required for a setup like this. The community support, tutorials, and ease of use for the package in the first place has made this a 3-4 hour, google-assisted, relatively easy setup. Coming out of it, all my issues are at bay now and my server is running just dandy for my uses, and I've learned a lot (linux noob as of a few weeks ago here) to boot, so Thanks

The one thing that stands out at this point for my setup is that ftp is trickiest behind nat, where the other servers are les so, just because of the ftp communication/handshake architecture. while proftpd (in my understanding) is far friendlier for this setup, it still requires a little bit of tweaking to get perfect. First of all, I noticed that, in my case anyway, I had to do the whole /etc/pam.d/ftp deal in the fedora core 4 tutorial (here for all you googlers: try this if you can't log in, particularly for a shell user, but it fixed my ispconfig-users problems too http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_fedora_core_4_p5 ) (I'm running Fedora Core 5 32-bit, used the perfect install tutorial). Second, and more importantly, I had to use the

MasqueradeAddress myaccount.dyndns.org
    #causes my ftp server to report the dynamic ip of it's network instead of its local ip

and
    PassivePorts 60000 65535
    # makes my ftp server use the port range 60000-65535 for pasv connections, the range I have forwarded

directives to get across the nat barrier. I noticed after my second install of ispconfig (cleaned it up after my initial discovery-oriented messing around), I couldnt log into ftp, and remembered this. I added the directives to the normal proftpd.conf, but after that didnt work, i realized i had to add them to the virtual servers created by ispconfig as well. this wasn't a major problem for me, but it could be for someone on their first run instead of their second or third installs. My feature request is simply to add a spot where you can add default directives to be added for the proftpd (and vsftpd if this applies) virtual hosts created by ispconfig (i think this is already included for apache's, isnt it?).

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes, for Apache you have the Apache Directives field in ISPConfig.

However, for now you can edit the template file /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/proftpd_ispconfig.conf.master and include your proftpd directives there. :)

3. whitty

whitty New Member

Thanks for the hint! it'd be great to have this as an automatic feature, but at least this does the trick without worry!