Custom Postfix/Dovecot configuration with ISPConfig

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by andrey.kiselev, Feb 24, 2015.

1. andrey.kiselev

andrey.kiselev New Member

Hi all,
    I am configuring a server on Debian Wheezy and I have a question concerning ISPConfig 3.0.5.4p5. I need to fix some configuration parameters for postfix and dovecot (different certs and authentication schemes, restrictions, etc.), which means that I modify conf files directly. But as far as I understand, I will lose all changes sooner of later after ISPC update. What could be a solution for this situation? Is it possible to specify my own configuration parameters, so ISPC could use them when re/configuring services? Is ISCP only reconfiguring services during updates or also on reboot or something else?
    Thanks!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig changes these config files only on updates.

You can make the changes update save by copying the config file templates that you modify from install/tpl/ folder of the ispconfig tar.gz file to /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf-custom/install/ The files in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf-custom/install/ takes precedence over the ones of the ispconfig tar.gu file on update.

Fra likes this.
  3. andrey.kiselev

andrey.kiselev New Member

Oh, thanks a lot, Till!
    And really thank you very much for the great piece of software you develop!

4. dannyM

dannyM New Member

@till
    The problem with config templates is that you will not profit from new features or even security fixes that involve modifications in the config files and are delivered with new versions of ISPconfig.
    Do you see any possibilities to alert the user if a new ISPconfig version is installed with updated config templates and the user has local modified copies of these templates? IMO the differences between the last installed cfg template and the new template should be shown. For this, the original templates also need to be saved locally and must not be deleted after installation.

5. ozgurerdogan

ozgurerdogan Member

I think ISPconfig should check modification and keep it with UPDATED version of conf file. Directadmin has such a feature.

6. till

This does not really work as ISPConfig can not know if your custom changes are compatible with the changes that were made by the ISPConfig developers.

7. ozgurerdogan

ozgurerdogan Member

Then it will break the system with under admin responsibility.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  8. till

Just create a custom config snippet as explained above, it works good and reliably.

9. ozgurerdogan

ozgurerdogan Member

Ok thank you.

10. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There are things that could improve the current design though, eg. store a version number in each template and have the installer report when there is a difference in the upstream and custom template version numbers (ie. it would alert you when you need to integrate upstream changes).

There are other things that could make merging local changes with the upstream template more maintainable, though probably a post in the dev forum would be the appropriate place for discussing them.

Th0m likes this.