Database Bandwidth

Discussion in 'General' started by drum, Oct 6, 2006.

1. drum

drum New Member

If a site allows external access toone of the databases, is the bandwidth recorded, and if so which section does it come into??

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

No, it's not recorded.

3. drum

drum New Member

Could it be possibly added in future, along with the bandwidth taken by DNS queries (I realise that will nearly always be small)

4. drum

drum New Member

Are there any unix utils, that log bandwidth by port?? Any problems using such an app with ispconfig??

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This will only work if the applications are recording their bandwith, I think bind does not log it. If you use logging of port base instaed, you did not to which domain the traffic belongs.

6. lhp

lhp New Member

Hi Drum;

It sound's like you want something like NTOP. NTOP will give you a full break down of bandwidth & traffic. DNS included. And don't be fooled DNS can become a significant load.

Obviously you'll need to install NTOP on a machine with Linux or BSD and connect the machine to a switch with a monitoring port or a hub. You could also include other monitoring/intrusion detection applications so you can receive SMS alerts for if your server or internet connection ever goes down or your server get's comprimised. (Works great if your server goes down and you get an SMS before your clients call asking what's going on and you can tell them you're already aware of the issue)

7. drum

drum New Member

Looks good, anyreason that I could install it onto the server itself???

8. falko

Then the SMS alerts won't work anymore.

9. drum

drum New Member

True, but that shouldn't be a problem for me, I'm more interested in monitoring bandwidth usage.

10. falko

I think you can install it on localhost then, although I'm not sure.