database conversion

Discussion in 'Suggest HOWTO' started by ikkem, Jul 3, 2007.

1. ikkem

ikkem Member

I wanted to request how to for database conversion. The mysql database is on a debian etch pc and the msaccess database is on a xp pc i want to know if it possible to let them talk to each other...

thanks in advance

2. stoolpigeon

stoolpigeon New Member

Do you want to convert the Access database to a MySQL database or do you just want to connect the two so that you can read back and forth between them?

I assume you mean convert as you use that twice, but when you say 'talk to each other' it makes me not so sure.

3. ikkem

ikkem Member

first of all thanks for reacting
    as you stated above I want to connect the two so that you can read back and forth between them....

thanks in advance

ikkem

4. stoolpigeon

stoolpigeon New Member

I've done some digging - as I was curious about this. The situation as far as I can tell is this.

If you want to connect from Access to MySQL - you can do that with the MyODBC driver. There is a good amount of material out there on how this is done and it is really a windows thing as opposed to a Linux thing. If you would like some pointers, let me know.

Since Access is file based, I think it would be necessary to have the .mdb file on some kind of shared storage that windows and linux could see. It is possible to bring the mdb file over onto linux and open it locally - but of course, then windows would not be able to open it.

I'm going to keep playing around with this, as it's pretty interesting. I thought I would just give you an update on what I had found so far.