ddclient failed updating wildcard

Discussion in 'Technical' started by gabrix, Dec 21, 2007.

1. gabrix

gabrix New Member

I have my domain name " gabrix.ath.cx " registered at dyndns.org from nearly 2 years and a never seen before issue came out , what does it mean ?:
    Code:
    SUCCESS:  updating gabrix.ath.cx: good: IP address set to 87.20.151.187
    FAILED:   updating wildcard: notfqdn: A Fully-Qualified Domain Name was not provided
    It's updating the domain name in the configuration file but it's not updating the wildcard which allows me to use subdomain names like www.gabrix.ath.cx . mail.gabrix.ath.cx etc.
    If before i was reaching my web server writing www.gabrix.ath.cx now i can't and i can only reach it using its domain name with no * before the domain name i registered http://gabrix.ath.cx . This is my ddclient.conf
    Code:
    pid=/var/run/ddclient.pid
    protocol=dyndns2
    use=web, web=dyndns
    server=members.dyndns.org
    login=username
    password='password'
    gabrix.ath.cx
    wildcard = yes

"A fully qualified domain name was not provided" refers to www.gabrix.ath.cx , but what's the point to have a wildcard as option , than ? Strange . I rember if i launched an
    the ouput was www.gabrix.ath.cx is an alias for gabrix.ath.cx 80.80.80.180.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Did you update ddclient? Or did DynDNS maybe change their API recently?

3. gabrix

gabrix New Member

I always forget to say i run debian etch and i have the latest stable version of debian progs , my fault , i by now got over this installing bind9.
    After i edited bind zone files i manage to resolve www.gabrix.ath.cx as expected as alias for domain gabrix.ath.cx , but if i'm not wrong in the past wasn't necessary .

4. BCheese

BCheese New Member

Possible Solution.

Gabrix,

I have just had the same problem with my own DynDNS domain name and found that this was caused by the ordering of items in the configuration file. Could I suggest that you move the domain name "gabrix.ath.cx" be moved to the very bottom of the file. This would then look like:

Code:
    pid=/var/run/ddclient.pid
    protocol=dyndns2
    use=web, web=dyndns
    server=members.dyndns.org
    login=username
    password='password'
    wildcard = yes
    gabrix.ath.cx

Cheers,
    Brian.