deb 3.1 smtp auth with vhcs2

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by adam, Aug 29, 2006.

1. adam

adam New Member

I am reinstalling my server from scratch after completley bodging up the postfix configuration and the vhcs2 installation.

I would like to use my smtp with a user/pass login so I can use it with any pop3 email account I wish.

When i installed vhcs the first time, i could use my smtp but only as a relay that matched the email account on my server. I would like to use the smtp regardless of this constraint and with to password protect it instead.

The guide here explains how to setup postfix and ssl to do this but once i install VHCS the postfix main.cf seems to change drastically and I end up with problems.

Does anyone know if it's easy to get SMTP AUTH working using vhcs and what steps I should take to accomplish this?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

It's easy to get SMTP-AUTH running, just have a look at the appropriate "Perfect Setup" here on HowtoForge. But I don't know VHCS, so I can't say what it does to your Postfix configuration.

3. adam

adam New Member

im having real trouble getting it working. i've followed the guide and when i do an ehlo localhost using telnet i get exactly what it says in your guide.

my confusion seems to come from the fact I don't know what user/password to supply to it to authenticate the test.

also, i'm having to listen on port 2525 and it seems i can send email using thunderbird without giving a user name or password as long as the mail destination is on the server.

4. jjw

jjw New Member

Same here. I tried the SMTP AUTH how to, and had the right output when telnetting to loaclhost from localhost. Never could actually get remote authentication to work, though. I used testsaslauthd locally (can't recall the syntax; been fired from the gig), and I could get users authenticated this way, but not remotely. (ports open on firewall/linux box & services running).

I then tried ISPConfig on a fresh perfect install, and had no luck with remote users authenticating to sed to sites not on the local server. :(

5. adam

adam New Member

my problem right now is just getting smtp auth to work on its own. i used the saslpasswd2 program and made a user /pass but it keeps telling me the authentication fails when i check the mail log.

i tried using telnet and the perl script to generate a key for me to authenticate but same problem.

6. jjw

jjw New Member

Yep. That's the crux, isn't it? :)

7. adam

adam New Member

i got smtp auth working on it's own using MECHANISMS="sasldb" and saslpasswd2.

However, as soon as i installed VHCS2 this has now stopped working of course, so i need to figure out how to accomplish this another way :(

8. falko

Have you tried to compare your main.cf from before you install VHCS and afterwards?

9. adam

adam New Member

yeah, its completely different. vhcs seems to overwrite it , not patch into it. i've tried putting the thigns that disappeared back but still no go.

i'm afraid i really don't understand whats going on well enough to figure out these problems and if what i am trying to accomplish can even be acheived. vhcs seems to set up all sorts of virtual mail boxes and configs in this main.cf.

10. falko

Can you post your original main.cf and the one from VHCS here (please strip out the comments)?