Debian 10 and HowTo for additional PHP version

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by schmidtedv, Sep 16, 2019.

1. schmidtedv

schmidtedv Member HowtoForge Supporter

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I second the post from @ahrasis , today I would use precompiled packages as well.

4. schmidtedv

Well...would be nice to use, thanks, but I'm talking about Debian 10, not 9 ! And 10 has got the mentioned, well known problem with freetype when compiling.

PS: I already found patches, dealing with docker-packages, but I'm not firm enough to translate this into a normal debian-patch.
    PPS: And, in my case, 7.3 is already active and should stay the default PHP Version on that server, so maybe I would have to go another way as described in Simon Gillis tutorial?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

What @ahrasis and I recommend is to install additional PHP versions from sury repo (see the link that @ahrasis posted) instead of compiling them yourself and the sury packages are available for Debian 10 as well.

6. schmidtedv

Ok, I checked and found - as you said - that packages for 10 are already there, thanks, I will give it a try!

7. schmidtedv

Thanks, worked nicely for all versions. I also installed these optional extensions (including mcrypt until 7.1) to make shure, I don't miss anything, when using Typo3 or Moodle, etc.:
    • apt-get install php5.6-gd php5.6-mysql php5.6-imap php5.6-curl php5.6-intl php5.6-pspell php5.6-recode php5.6-sqlite3 php5.6-tidy php5.6-xmlrpc php5.6-xsl php5.6-zip php5.6-mbstring php5.6-soap php5.6-opcache php5.6-bz2 php5.6-bcmath php5.6-dba php5.6-mcrypt
    And made my usual optimizations for apcu and opcache (hope, thats ok like i did for all versions):
    • [apcu]
      apc.enabled=1
      apc.shm_size=128M
      apc.ttl=0
      apc.gc_ttl=600
      apc.enable_cli=1
      apc.mmap_file_mask=/tmp/apc.XXXXXX
      ;apc.mmap_file_mask=/dev/zero
      ;apc.shm_segments = 5
    • [opcache]
      opcache.enable = 1
      opcache.enable_cli = 1