Debian Apache Server - Proxy Issues?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by tcroteau, Sep 7, 2007.

1. tcroteau

tcroteau New Member

Hello,
    I configured an Apache web server (using ISPConfig... best control panel ever!!) for use behind my company's firewall which uses a proxy server for HTTP, FTP, etc.

I configured this box at home using a private IP address (192.168.x.x) and then had to change it to its new IP throughout (based on info from this site) the server. I mention this in case this is where the trouble lies. I changed the IP at home and using PuTTY from a client on my network, after I changed the client's IP to access the server, I was able to hit the server without issue.

Now that I've hung the server on my company's network (which spans globally using Class A addresses), I cannot PuTTY in from any client on the network (in the same building of course) nor can I ping in or out from the server.

I changed the DNS entries in /etc/resolv.conf to match nameservers used on the network but still cannot reach any public or private sites/IPs.

Again, my company uses a proxy server. I don't know where to plug in HTTP proxy settings. Could this be my issue?

There are two websites residing on the server with DNS entries on corporate nameservers, though BIND is actively running on the server. Could this be an issue?

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks VERY much in advance.

2. chuckl

chuckl New Member

If I understand you correctly, to summarise your installation -

You have connected your new server to a network, lets call it Company network A, in a corp environment.
    Most of the rest of this corp are connected to a network, Company network B, and between the two is a proxy server, deciding what may or may not be visible on Company network B from the sensistive stuff on Company Network A.
    Is that correct?

If so, then the proxy server needs to be configured to make the new sites visible to the greater multitude, if you like to 'publish' the websites.
    From a Putty access point of view, unless there is some sort of tunneling available through the proxy, not going to happen.

3. tcroteau

tcroteau New Member

Chuck,
    Thanks for your reply.

There is one Corporate network where the server now hangs.

From within the corporate network, in order to get to the internet, you must configure proxy settings in your browser (e.g., Internet Options on a Wintel client). Without these proxy settings, you won't go anywhere.

I was thinking maybe this was why I'm having connectivity issues. I'm not so sure now.

On a whim, I changed from static to DHCP and now I can PuTTY in, ping to/fro and even reach ISPConfig using the dynamic IP assigned to the server.

Then, I edited /etc/network/interfaces and reverted back to my static IP and now it doesn't work again. Hmmmmmm.....

4. chuckl

chuckl New Member

Ok, makes no difference to the overall result. If the browsers etc are configured to use a proxy server, that proxy has to know about the site, and possibly be configured to allow access to it.

I find the static/DHCP situation interesting however, as that would imply that the static IP address is not correct for your setup? As soon as the IP address is assigned by the wider system, all works, yet a manually configured IP does not?

Surely suggests either a problem with the IP address, or that the DHCP system is setting gateways, proxies or something similar?

5. tcroteau

tcroteau New Member

Chuck,
    Sorry to get back so late. I wanted to convey, much to my chagrin, I was using the wrong IP. Plugging in the correct static IP took care of my issue.

With respect to changing IP addresses, I found it to be very easy. I changed my /etc/network/interfaces config file and the balance of the associated network config files updated without a fuss with ONE exception; the /etc/apache2/vhosts/Vhosts_ispconfig.conf required updating with the new static IP for existing websites. New sites created with ISPConfig used the static IP after I changed the server IP in ISPConfig (Management --> Server --> Settings) as well as the existing sites.

Thanks for your help and I sincerely apologize for my error of using the wrong IP to begin with.

6. chuckl

chuckl New Member

No need to apologise at all, main thing is you've sorted out the problem. Believe me, we've all done it.
    Wait till you convince yourself you are using a static IP, but it's actually DHCP, and someone thinks they're setting the lease renewal to 3 days, but they set it to 3min.

Now that can be a challenge, musical IP's perhaps.

Rgds,