Debian: Lenny: Perfect Server & No-IP

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by S3NTYN3L, Mar 12, 2009.

1. S3NTYN3L

S3NTYN3L New Member

First of all, I'm a complete Linux Newb.
    Please don't hold that against me...

I'm attempting to follow along with this tut:

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-lenny-ispconfig3

I've also bought a domain through No-IP.com since I have a dynamic IP and I'm not wanting to pay for a static one.

I'm needing my own server for my small business website.
    Along with that, I need an eMail server and FTP server.

The tut says that I type in my domain in during setup.
    So I would enter the one I purchased?

I'm behind a router and my other machines are all Windows based.

Ultimately, I'm wanting to run this server headless and VNC into it via my main Windows Vista box.

I also noticed in the tut that typing server1.example.com (from the the tut, obviously) will get you to the server.
    Does this mean that anyone with that URL can access my server or is that only accessible from my network?

I've also been reading in various places that I'll only be able to receive email from the outside world, not send it. Is this true?
    How can I get around this?
    Would I need some other service that No-IP provides?

Can someone help me out?

Please, do not assume I know much about Linux, because I don't.
    This will be my second experience with Linux. The first was with Ubuntu last year and it was a disaster...:eek:

2. matey

matey New Member

I dont know much about Linux myself, may be some one with the knowledge replies?
    I can only tel you what we have at work.
    We have setup most of our servers with Ubuntu (Feisty, Hardy, Debian sarge etc...).
    The web server is a xen (virtual server) off of a feisty server.
    the web interface uses zope and plone (besides the normal apache2 base).

Our mail server uses vpopmail (qmail)which is also on a xen guest machine off of a feisty server (ubuntu 7.04 which has been discontinues so we will upgrade soon but Not to version 8.10 because xen is not supported there. yet)!The qmail recommends it to be run on a xen or a virtual machine.

Our DNS is also a xen machine for security runs off of a feisty server.

The telephones though are on an OpenBSD server which is more secure I guess?

(I do not know if you have voice over IP setup?) But that is very sweet since I have worked with it before.
    our DNS server points to our actual ISP and has their IP address in the resolv.conf file but the rest of our machines including the workstations only point to our local DNS. (Now I dont know how you will handle this since you are getting an IP from DHCP? May be call the dhclient and get the result put in there? Not so sure??)

So it is like the DNS machine also acts as a gateway between our local (LAN) to the WAN.
    We do not have any FTP (from outside) but use OpenVPN for security. (it deals with security certificate etc.)

you can always ssh to your servers using either a linux machines or via PuTTY from Windows, it works really well. I setup a couple of FTP servers for myself and that is easy , you just install ftp as you would any other program (I dont remember the exact command) it is different for each flavor of linux any way.

This is a basic setup here, I know it may be a little too complicated since I think it is, (but I just got here a while ago I am not the one who set this up) I hope some one can give you more/better details.
    good luck.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Ideally you'd buy another domain, a "technical" domain that you don't use for web hosting and email, but only for naming your servers. You'd use that one for ISPConfig.

If server1.example.com points to your public IP address and your router forwards port 8080 to your ISPConfig server, then yes.

Most dynamic IPs are blacklisted nowadays which means you cannot send from them. But you can relay through another mail server: http://www.howtoforge.com/postfix_relaying_through_another_mailserver

4. S3NTYN3L

S3NTYN3L New Member

Ok, so I'd use a domain that I'm never going to give out to access my server from anywhere?
    I assume I can just hard to guess subdomain instead?

Then, from within the ISPConfig thing, I'd setup the public domain?

So, I'll need to go into my router config and tell it to point to my public domain name in order for people to access my server?

Wouldn't one of No-IPs services take care of that for me?
    Which one? No-IP Mail Services Link

I'm sorry for being so dense, this stuff is somewhat intimidating...

5. ggohdin

ggohdin New Member

Hi, great tutorial btw!

I have a question along the same lines. Everything installed well, when i type in the local ip address for the server in my browser (192.168.1.4:8080) it works perfectly, when i type in the server name (http://server.agama.com:8080) it doesn't work. I have checked the interfaces and hosts scripts and they all point to 192.168.1.4, but when I ran dig `hostname` it came up with the server address as 192.168.1.1, which I am guessing is the issue? I also ran nslookup and got the same result of 192.168.1.1.

I wondered if it had something to do with the resolv.conf but even logged in as root (su -) I cannot view as permission denied.

Is there any way i can change the server name address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.4? if that is actually the problem.

Thank you!
    -Shayne

6. falko

The domain name is totally up to you. But I'd use a real domain that can be accessed from elsewhere because otherwise you might get problems with email.

For your web site? Yes.

No, you must forward port 8080 to your server's private IP.

7. falko

Are you running an internal DNS server? Then change it there. Or did you create that record somewhere in /etc/hosts?

8. S3NTYN3L

S3NTYN3L New Member

None of the above, I guess...

I don't know,
    As I said, I'm a Linux newb.

I'm just needing to know how to configure this thing to work with my router and the domain name I purchased.

I guess I'm needing to know what goes where during the network config part of the install process. Apparently, I'm doing something wrong...

My router has DHCP enabled, but I'm wanting to use an IP outside of that range so the server always gets the same IP.

I do this all the time in Windows by setting a static IP within the OS to outside the DHCP range. Heck, that's how the box I'm typing this message on is currently setup... <undecided.gif>

9. ggohdin

ggohdin New Member

Hi, i am using mydns just like in the tutorial.

the /etc/hosts file is setout like this:

<--
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.1.4 server.agama.com server

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

-->

Im pretty sure that is right.

and interfaces is:

<--
    # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
    #allow-hotplug eth0
    #iface eth0 inet dhcp
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.4
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.1.0
    broadcast 192.168.1.255
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    -->

when I type dig `hostname`

<--
    question section:
    server.agama.com in a

Authority section:
    agama.com 10800 in SOA ns1.gold.net. dnsmaster.gld.net
    . 2005122700 10800 3600 3600000 86400

server: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
    --->

when I type nslookup server.agama.com

<---
    server: 192.168.1.1
    address: 192.168.1.1#53

**server can't find server.agama.com:NXDOMAIN
    --->

any thing that can point me in the right direction will be much appreciated

***EDIT***

I edited the file "/etc/resolv.conf" which was showing nameserver 192.168.1.1 and renamed the ip to point to 192.1658.1.4.

Now when I type dig `hostname`, ns1.agama.com and webmaster.agama.com (what I set up in mydns) show up, as well as server: 192.168.1.4#53(192.168.1.4).

when I type nslookup server.agama.com I get:

server: 192.168.1.4
    address: 192.168.1.4#53
    **server can't find server.agama.com:NXDOMAIN

am I heading in the right direction?

netstat -tap

tcp 0 0 server.agama.com:domain *:* LISTEN 2756/mydns
    tcp 0 0 localhost.locald:domain *:* LISTEN 2756/mydns

this seems wrong to me?

***END***

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  10. ggohdin

ggohdin New Member

HI I have managed to get this:

Code:
    951/rpc.statd
    tcp        0      0 localhost:934           *:*                     LISTEN      2878/famd
    tcp        0      0 localhost:10024         *:*                     LISTEN      2201/amavisd (maste
    tcp        0      0 localhost:10025         *:*                     LISTEN      2832/master

it use to say

Code:
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdoma:934 *:*                     LISTEN      2878/famd
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdo:10024 *:*                     LISTEN      2201/amavisd (maste
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdo:10025 *:*                     LISTEN      2832/master

In /etc/hosts I changed

Code:
    127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain           localhost 

to

Code:
    127.0.0.1       localhost                           localhost.localdomain

Hope that helps

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  11. falko

@S3NTYN3L: this was the answer to ggohdin's question.

@ggohdin: Please open a new thread, otherwise it will become too confusing here.

12. S3NTYN3L

S3NTYN3L New Member

Hey, hey, I've got it installed!!! :D

It only took several days and a lot of arguing with the wife, (she was "helping". well, she types better than I do. I must have been keying "L"'s as "1"'s and whatnot), but I'm up and running!