Debian perfect setup network problem

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by reddogg, Jan 18, 2006.

1. reddogg

reddogg New Member

Hi,

I have read many many thread on this site multiple times (and read lots of other web pages) and have never been able to understand what I have to do.

I would like to say thankyou to everyone on here and for the Perfect setup how to's for such a great source of information.

I am new to linux and I am having problems with my network setup on my Debian perfect setup. If I setup my server with a static IP I cannot connect to the internet.

I have tried the exact configuration that is shown in the How To's but have never been able to get it to work. I have been able to install the whole server (including ISPconfig) but have left the network settings as DHCP instead of static so I dont loose my network connection.

Currently I have this network setup.

Internet -> Speedtouch 530 ADSL modem (Dynamic IP) -> 8 Port switch -> windows box *2, mac mini, Perfect setup Webserver.

- I am unsure as to what hostname I should use (I own many domain names through my business and I sure there are some spare to use as a test until I get a real one, if this is what I need).
    - I am unsure how to setup both my modem and my server with the static IP.
    - When I had setup my server I was only ever getting the directory structure of my server and not the apache default page nor could I access the ISPConfig page even though I have forwarded all ports to my server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reddogg

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If you have a spare domain that you can use for technical purposes only (i.e., not for web sites, emails , ...) that would be ideal. You can then create a subdomain, e.g. server1 (-> server1.yoursparedomain.com) and point its DNS record to your router's public IP address.

I need some infos about your router:
    - LAN IP address, maybe also netmask and broadcast, if available.
    - The IP address range your DHCP server on the router uses.
    You can find the details in the router's web frontend.

3. reddogg

reddogg New Member

Address pool is as follows:

start address 10.0.0.1 -> end address 10.0.0.254
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 10.0.0.138
    server 10.0.0.138
    primary and secondary dns 10.0.0.138

10.0.0.138 is the address of the modem and is the speedtouch default ip.

This is all the information that I could find - re your question.

When using a domain name and also dyndns do I put sever1.example.com as the hostname or do I put server1.homeunix.net (dyndns domain).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006