Debian post-build on VM (s390)

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by DocDJ, Feb 9, 2008.

1. DocDJ

DocDJ New Member

I've sucessfully followed the HowTo for re-building my Debian Etch Linux kernel, but at the end of the HowTo, there is a discussion (and commands) on creating a ramdisk and using grub. Since I'm running in a virtual machine under z/VM, the "boot" process involves a CMS exec that selects the version to be booted. How does the "HowTo" relate to this environment?

At: http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-packaging.html they discuss a post-installation script that points the /boot/initrd.img and /boot/vmlinuz to the new kernel. It appears this is an automatic part of the "make menuconfig" process. Does this mean I do not have to consider the ramdisk and grub updating that is in the HowTO?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What's z/VM, and what's a CMS exec?

3. DocDJ

DocDJ New Member

z/VM is IBM's Virtual Machine O/S running on the Z/390 (upgrade of s390) hardware. The system runs multiple copies of Debian Linux (currently 2.6.18), which I am trying to install (as root) in one user-machine. A "CMS EXEC" is a script file run in the CMS "shell" of a virtual machine before booting Linux. But I guess that's now irrelevant. PLEASE read below.

I did the original HowTo, but in my ignorance, skipped the last stage (initrd, etc) and lost the build. Now I can't re-build. I get the errors below,
    (screens not captured for the "make all", which had NO errors).
    Before re-installing I did an "rm -r" on the linux directory and deleted the linux symlink. I then went back to the HowTo, starting at the "tar xjf ...."
    Following is from "make modules_install" followed by the "make install":
    INSTALL net/sunrpc/sunrpc.ko
    INSTALL net/tipc/tipc.ko
    INSTALL net/xfrm/xfrm_user.ko
    if [ -r System.map -a -x /sbin/depmod ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map 2.6.18; fi
    tjw138:/usr/src/linux# make install CHK include/linux/version.h
    CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
    CHK include/linux/compile.h
    sh -x /usr/src/linux-2.6.18/arch/s390/boot/install.sh 2.6.18 arch/s390/boot/image \
    System.map Kerntypes "/boot"
    + '[' -x /root/bin/installkernel ']'
    + '[' -x /sbin/installkernel ']'
    + exec /sbin/installkernel 2.6.18 arch/s390/boot/image System.map Kerntypes /boot
    Usage: installkernel <version> <image> <System.map> <directory>
    make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
    make: *** [install] Error 2
    tjw138:/usr/src/linux#

----------------------
    It appears tha there is an EXTRA argument being passed from make install to the installkernel command. The extra argument is: "Kerntypes". I have no clue where this is coming from or how to fix it. Can you help me?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Unfortunately I have no clue what's causing the problem... :(

5. DocDJ

DocDJ New Member

Well thanks for looking at it anyway. Would there be a possibility of getting help from the Kernel forum?