Debian Sarge 3.1 Boot Image

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mphayesuk, Feb 17, 2006.

1. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

Ok I am taking the big step and installing (trying) debain sarge 3.1, however I still have suse 9.3 installed and when I put in disc 1 of 15 or the net install disc it wont boot from them, and the floppy image is not on any of the cd's so if someone can post that image on here I would be very greatfull. In the meantime I will keep looking on the net for it.

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

What do you mean that it will not boot from the CD? Have you changed the Boot order in your BIOS, so that the first BOOT-Device is your CD-Rom?

3. mphayesuk

trust me.. it wont boot... and the install folder on the cd 1 is empty I have downloaded the first disk from two mirrors now and there both the same, and the install folder on the netinst is also empty. So I need a link or someone to post the floppy image file so I can get it working.

Thanks

4. mphayesuk

This might be a stupid question but the ia64 version of debian... is that for amd64... or intel 64 and could that be why it wont boot from cdrom

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

As far as i know, ia64 is for Itanium processors, not for x86_64.

6. mphayesuk

Yep I think thats right I got the netinstall for i386, but that didnt pick my sata hard drives up so I think I will abanden that idea, for now... What I am thinking of doing is using my ide raid card with suse and see if that makes any difference/works.

Thanks

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

8. ryoken

ryoken New Member

umm... make sure you have the i386 version (or amd64 version if you have an athlon64/fx/opteron or p4/xeon with em64t), then boot it. what do you mean it wont boot. do you see the debian logo at all (ie. can you press F1... F10) at the bootloader screen? if it does boot and it doesn't detect your SATA drives, try typing "linux26" at the bootloader screen. this loads the 2.6.8 kernel, instead of the default 2.4.27 one.

ps - to confirm your iso is not corrupted (ie. missing folders, etc.), make sure you do a md5sum comparison between the ISO and the MD5SUMS file from where you downloaded it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  9. mphayesuk

Thanks all I will give it a try... I have on order another raid card that has quite a large range of drivers available including suse10 (my choice of os) so I will see what happens and post any helpfull hints.