debian xen setup with global ipv4 and ipv6

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by JeanLuc, Feb 6, 2009.

1. JeanLuc

JeanLuc New Member

Hi,

i'll try to setup a xen under etch with a global ipv4 and ipv6 in bridge mode and hardware virtualization for windows guests.

I think this howto is to old (http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_etch_xen_3.1) and i should use xen 3.3 instead or is 3.0.3 up2date enough?

However, i want to use xen with a global ip, i think that a just use the global ips in the creating dialog?

xen-create-image --hostname=xen1.example.com --size=2Gb --swap=256Mb --ide \
    --ip=$GLOBAL_IP_OF_GUEST --netmask=255.255.255.0 --gateway=$GLOBAL_IP_OF_HOST

I have no real idea becuase I didn't find any hints, but maye i have to create it with local ips and just adding the global ip in the guest to eth0?
    Then it is not a problem to add there the v6 ip too, but in the other case i have no idea how to do this.

Hope ypu can help me with this.

Greetings
    jeanluc

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Use the public IP, but make sure you also use the correct netmask and gateway.

I've tried Xen 3.3 on Debian Etch, but I wasn't able to create any guests (they just don't boot). I'm still working on this, but I'm not sure if I will find a solution.

You could try Xen 3.2 on Lenny: http://www.howtoforge.com/virtualization-with-xen-on-debian-lenny-amd64
    But one strange thing I noticed is that - although the CPU of my test system is capable of hardware virtualization (AMD-V) - as soon as you boot the Xen kernel, the "svm" (which shows that the AMD CPU supports hardware virtualization) disappears from the cat /proc/cpuinfo output (which means you cannot do hardware virtualization, but just paravirtualization). Not sure if this happens just on my system...

3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc New Member

Hi,

ok, it was easy, everything works fine out of the box expect ipv6.

I've just tried to add a v6 adresse and the gateway to the guest eth0, but i think bridge in dom0 ignores it because a neighboorhoodquery fails there.

Any idea?