Dedicated FTP Server

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Rapid2214, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Rapid2214

Rapid2214 New Member

Hi,
    Is there a way i can have a dedicating FTP server? At the moment, it seems like ISPCONFIG whats to create a FTP user account on the web server, but that isn't sutible for my setup as my web servers could probley handle no more.

My plan is, people upload to the FTP server, then with GlusterFS it puts in onto the webservers.

Thanks

Marty

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can achieve this with the following setup:

1) Use glusterfs for /var/www on the webserver.
    2) Install a second server (slave) with ispconfig in expert mode and choose that this server is a webserver too. The /var/www directory must point to the same share then on the first webserver. Then login to ispconfig on the master server, go to system > services and select that this slave server shall be a mirror of the master server.

Ispconfig will now replicate all the config for the webserver incl. the FTP accounts to the slave. As both servers share the same glusterfs filesystem, you can use the second server for FTP uploads while the first server serves the webpages. If you want to ensure that nobody accesses the websites trogh apache on the slave, just close port 80 and 443 in the firewall on the slave.

3. kennethlmartin

kennethlmartin New Member

Could I do this with mail servers instead of web servers? Then one server could function as an incoming mail server and the other as an outgoing mail server with the email data and configuration data stored across both servers...

4. till

5. kennethlmartin

kennethlmartin New Member

I followed this tutorial and setup two mailservers using glisterfs for both the vmail and mysql. Was it necessary to do this for mysql though since I'm only using these servers for mail and mysql seems to be giving me problems on the server I selected to be the mirror?

6. till

The mysql part is not nescessary as the mysql tables with the config data for the email accounts are replicated by ispconfig.