Default "hostname" for site always set to "www"?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Dave Lane, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Dave Lane

Dave Lane New Member

When I create or edit a site using the ISP Manager using the form on ISP Site -> Basis (tab), I find that if the "hostname" field in the form always defaults to "www". This is a problem as I routinely create sites with a name like this:
    hostname = '' // i.e. *blank*
    domain = 'fqdn.tld'
    and then create "co-domains" like www.fqdn.tld which is aliased to fqdn.tld.

As a result, every time I view the Basis tab, I have to manually clear the "www" that defaults into the intentionally empty "hostname" field. If I don't, and either save the form or go to another tab, the "www" is saved as the value for the site hostname - a behaviour I consider a bug...

I've spent an hour or so going through the code trying to find where that "www" is injected, but as yet haven't been able to find it - I was hoping Till or Falko or another developer familiar with ISPConfig (is this a theme or template issue??) can point me in the right direction, as it's causing me a lot of annoyance...

Oh, and I'm running ISPConfig 2.2.2 on Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 with Postfix, Dovecot, MySQL, etc.

Thanks very much,

Dave

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This ia not a bug, it is the default behaviuor in ISPConfig. ISPConfig creates websites always with www in the ost field and then a co-domain with empty host field is added automatically.

The default value for the fields is set in the iSPConfig Form editor in the management section.

3. Dave Lane

Dave Lane New Member

Thanks very much for your assistance, Till. I see that my previous searches in the forum for information regarding the "www" problem missed previous queries about the same thing. I've managed to make the change described in http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2902.

Regarding that default behaviour, I like the idea of automatically creating an alias, but in our business, we always default to the shortest name (i.e. no "www") and instead redirect it the other way - www.fqdn.tld -> fqdn.tld...

Kind regards,

Dave

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

That's no big deal for us who deal with the internet every day, but the average Joe thinks that URLs must begin with "www"... That's why we use "www" as the default address.