Default vhost

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Numerizen, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Numerizen

Numerizen Member

Hello,

I know this issue has been talked about before, but I didn't find a case which exactly fit mine.

Here's the issue :

- My server has the hostname mydomain.com.
    - This domain name leads to the Apache default page ("It works !").
    - There's a website which works fine on www.mydomain.com (a Drupal instance).
    - I want this website to be the one which is also displayed on mydomain.com (i.e default vhost).

I was tempted to change the file /etc/apache/sites-available/default to go to the correct directory, but I understand it can interfere with other ISPC stuff so I didn't.

A bit of help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

the server hostname has always to be a subdomain. so mydomain.com is not a valid hostname, you should use something like server1.mydomain.com.

Your probkem above is caused by this as you cant have a website for the hostname, so in you cas you cant use mydomain.com. If you change the server hostname to e.g. server1.mydomain.com, then you will be able to use mydomain.com as website.

3. Numerizen

Numerizen Member

Never understood the hostname had to be a subdomain.

Can I really change the hostname without messing things up ?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, you can change it without problems. Edit /etc/hosts, /etc/hostname, /etc/mailnam and /etc/postfix/main.cf

Then run:

/etc/init.d/hostname.sh start
    /etc/init.d/postfix restart

5. Numerizen

Numerizen Member

Thanks a lot. Did exactly that and it seems to work.

Glad I asked my last question, because I would have overlooked the postfix and mailname thingies.

Thanks again and have a nice day.