Default web site pages

Discussion in 'General' started by Rastus, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Rastus

Rastus New Member

Hey,
    I have installed ISPConfig 3 using the ubuntu 9.10 perfect server guide.
    Installation was straightforward and everything works but I only need to host 3 websites (with different domains).

So I made one client (me) and added the 3 site names. I noticed that the site names appeared in the var/www/ directory. I made a FTP user and uploaded the first site and I can see the files in the directory from the command line but when I go to the IP address of the server in my browser it shows only the default index.html in the /var/www directory. I tried again with IP address/sitename.com in my browser and got an access denied message.

How do I access my individual site?
    Clearly I am missing something.
    Rastus

2. damir

damir New Member

You need to point your domain.com and www.domain.com to A record (ip address of your ISPConfig server). All that is done through your domain dns provider.

3. Rastus

Rastus New Member

Re: default web pages.

OK,
    I understand about the DNS A record that should point to the main server IP address but this server is set up as a guest in Virtualbox on my local machine. I know the IP address of the virtual machine and when I go to that address in the browser, it shows the default index.html.

My question is this, I have 3 virtual sites set up in ispconfig. I have uploaded web pages to these virtual sites. Knowing the IP address of the server, what do I have to put into my browser address bar to show each of the virtual sites?

How does it find the virtual sites inside the single main IP address of the server?

Thanks

4. Rastus

Rastus New Member

Re default web pages

OK, I'm on a roll with questions here.

When I log in as the FTP user to upload sites, ISPConfig sends me to the directory with 5 folders. CGI-BIN, LOG, SSL, TMP, and WEB. I assume that you put the web files in web.

Am I correct in that assumption?
    Thanks

5. Germanius

Germanius Member

Thats right.

6. Rastus

Rastus New Member

My question is this, I have 3 virtual sites set up in ispconfig. I have uploaded web pages to these virtual sites in the directories as above. Knowing the IP address of the server, what do I have to put into my browser address bar to show each of the virtual sites?

How does it find the virtual sites inside the single main IP address of the server?

7. Germanius

Germanius Member

What do you mean with "virtual sites"? Do you have one virtual machine and on this machine you installed ispconfig and then you created three websites?

Make sure, that each website has its own domain or subdomain. For those domains you have to create A records, which are pointing to your server, so that they work properly on your server. Then you can access those sites via the different domains. In this case it doesnt matter if you have only one IP.

8. Rastus

Rastus New Member

This is exactly what I have done.

I am currently testing the setup to look at the sites before I put it in production with full DNS records. ( I currently have another server hosting the sites) I was just wondering if there was a way to pull the sites up in a web browser on the machine that is hosting the virtual machine in order to double check things. If I enter the IP address, it shows the default index.html and if I put in the domain name, it resolves to the host that is currently hosting the site.

If I need to just put it in service and troubleshoot at that time, I can do that. I was just trying to figure out another way.

9. kerrsmith

kerrsmith Member

What I do in exactly this same situation is to manually add the domain and IP address details to my hosts file.

Alternatively you can change the DNS Servers details in your network setup to point to your test server (as long as you have entered relevant information to the DNS page in ISPConfig for each domain).

Both these methods work fine but I find the first the quickest and easiest.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010