delete webserver

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by chief, Apr 18, 2024.

1. chief

chief Member HowtoForge Supporter

multi server, debian 12, 3.2.11p2
    I have upgraded all my servers months ago from debian 11 to debian 12, 1 server refused and crashed, i restored it and tried again and again.
    I told the client "i have created a new server for you.. move your sites to this" they have now done this and the server is now empty.
    Can i now delete the VM and fresh install, and introduce it back in without deleting ispconfig names etc..
    so i will keep same hostname etc

dave

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Refused what?
    If the upgrade from Debian 11 to Debian 12 failed, the Debian Release notes for Debian 12 has lots of troubleshooting and repairing instructions. https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/releasenotes
    After fresh install it is a new host, all data on the old host is lost. You can not get it back in any meaningful way.
    What you can do, however, is remove the broken host from the ISPConfig cluster, do the fresh install and add the host to the ISPConfig cluster, the usual way ISPConfig multiserver setup is done. You can use the same hostname and IP-address as the old broken host.

3. chief

@Taleman thanks for reply.
    To remove server from cluster, what is the correct way?

ta

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

First, remove anything that is 'hosted' on the node, check websites, databases, email domains, and DNS-zones, and delete any that are on that node. Afterwards, you can delete the node from System > server services list.

6. chief

@till @Taleman - thanks for reply.
    The server is empty already, all database and sites moved to another server on my cluster.
    so, just as stated remove from "systems -> server services list", what about "system -> server ip address" or will adding same server back on fresh install and assign IP not matter?

dave

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you have something in server > IP address for this system, then remove it as well. A newly added server will get a new server_id, so nothing will get reused.

chief likes this.