Denying Email

Discussion in 'General' started by jonwatson, Mar 9, 2007.

1. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

Hello All,

I have a need to set up an ISPConfig installation that does not allow users or user's scripts to send email.

I don't want to shut down Postfix altogether because I would still like quota emails and other system emails to be sent out.

Is there a way to disallow users and user's scripts from sending email but still allowing ISPConfig generated emails to go out?

Thanks!

2. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

You could disable the php mail() function in the php.ini

3. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

That's true, but that wouldn't stop CGIs from using sendmail.

The basic problem is that I want to start a free hosting service to drive traffic to my non-free one. However, I'm aware that many, many people who use free hosts are spammers (amongst other things). I want them to be able to FTP and shell in and stuff (well, maybe not shell), but I don't want them to be able to send mail.

4. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

I was trying to do something like that to by disabling SMTP for certain users but it was not possible

5. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

Damn...

Well, I guess I can cripple Postfix at boot. Do you think that will cause problems elsewhere?

6. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

yea just close it /etc/init.d/postfix stop

7. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

I'm totally Ok with doing that, I'm just looking for reasons why I might not want to. Like...I run fail2ban for example, which bans IPs that fail to authenticate properly within X number of tries. I like getting the emails that tells me that's happened so I can keep an eye on the hack volume.

Also, the ISPConfig generated quota emails won't go out if Postfix is stopped which would be another nice thing to get.

That's why I was hoping to just disallow human users and scripts from sending mail, but still let ISPConfig (and hopefully fail2ban) to send.

8. alexillsley

alexillsley New Member

You could set up smtp auth users

Have you got 2 servers? If you have paid users on the same server then they wont be able to send mail.

9. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

Ohh...good thinking. I'll look into that.

Yes, I'm going to keep my free users and my paid users on different servers. I think that's only fair to the paying users that the free ones aren't using the resources that they're paying for.