Desperate for Help Suse 11.0

Discussion in 'Desktop Operation' started by Marisimo, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Marisimo

Marisimo New Member

Greetings Falko ! I have had the pleasure of following several of your tutorials... Excellent! The perfect fedora, Suse Desktops etc..

I cannot find anywhere or anyone that shows a step by step tutorial or knowledge base that is understandable by any sort of newbie... Dealing with using the mount command.. specifically mounting DVD multi-write drives (burners) nothing seems to work..

Allow me to explain...

I am running a Pentium 4, 1.8 GHz proc, 1 GB of RAM, NVidia GEForce 5200, 256MB PCI, Creative Labs Audigy Z Platinum, Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse and a HP w2207 LCD monitor, Suse 11.0, Gnome Desktop w/ compiz window manager. I Have all the latest updates installed, but I cannot access any Blank DVD's from either of my Drives.. and Movie DVD's only from my Samsung drive using SM Player.

I read that DVD Drives are configured into the system by the mount command syntax (which I do not understand)... there, they are supposedly written into the /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab file by the system... and saved to be "auto recognized", (automounted) afterward.

I found both of my drives and their devices listed in Hardware info.. 1st DVD drive - An LG Light Scribe DVD-RAM_GSA-H54L_(/dev/sr0) and 2nd Drive Samsung CDWriter/DVD Player CDRW/DVD SM-352b_(/dev/sr1).

My Goal is to have Icons for the Blank DVD's or CD show up on the desktop when Blanks are inserted. If this is not possible, at least that they be recognized by the system so I can copy.

Presently, not accessable at all even when K3B or Brasero is or Gnome DVD creator are opened first, then the DVD Inserted. Also after selecting which drive to copy to, the drives do not show up..

My LG DVD Multi-Writer does not show an icon for a movie disc when inserted.

Neither shows up when you look at System>EDIT function in yast2 .. they are missing..

Have you written or considered writing a ONE-CLICK to detect / write this into a mounted configuration file..

That would help so many people.. besides me.

Please Help .... I need to be able to write to my drives, but am seriously stuck.. I have been reading anything and everything I can find but, apparently need to be "hand held on this one".

Also please note: Both drives are working fine when I put them into my windows XP system to test.

Thanks for taking the time to help I appreciate it very much... I will post anything you need to help me figure this out..

Sincerely,
    Marisimo

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You cannot mount empty/unformatted DVDs or CDs - there needs to be a filesystem on them first. But despite this, your burning applications (K3B, Brasero, Gnomebaker) should be able to see the DVDs/CDs - did you check the logs to see if there are any errors related to this?

3. Marisimo

Marisimo New Member

Reply to desperate about DVD drives mounting

Thanks for your reply..

The errors keep saying to insert a blank unformatted disk into the drive(s)

which of course I do.. still the same response...

Marisimo

4. falko

That sounds as if the operating system doesn't recognize the DVD writer. Can you see it in the output of
    Code:
    lspci
    ?

5. Marisimo

Marisimo New Member

No I cannot see it in lspci.. The computer of course will boot from either of the drives, so how can the operating system not see it?

Sincerely,

Marisimo

6. falko

Good question, but I'm no SUSE expert... :eek: