Determining server bandwidth required in data center

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Gary, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Gary

Gary New Member

Is there a way to calculate what bandwidth is required for our web server prior to our server going live in a data center?
    We have a web store, do mass emailings to our list of 25,000 customers, and woluld like to also start audio streaming for an internet radio show, handle 1-hour podcasts for the show, and progress into making a library of 4-5 minute video tutorials available online to members.

I am running a LAMP stack on RHEL3.0 and using OS apps such as drupal, PHP List, Sugar CRM and RT.

The data center has offered us a 1.5 Meg dedicated pipe (not to exceed 1.5 Meg) +$75/Meg excess, or 10 GB total for the entire month.

I have no idea if I should choose a dedicated pipe or aggregate monthly bandwidth, or if what they are offering in bandwidth will even be adequate for my purposes. I have no history to base any of this on, as we are coming from a hosted environment on a shared server.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to approach this?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

How many page views per day do you have?
    The podcasts will eat up a lot of bandwidth. Do you plan to send only one hour of podcasts per day, or the same 1-hour podcast 24 hours a day? Will it be MP3 encoded? What bitrate?

I think 10GB is very sparse - you should try to find a hoster that offers you unlimited bandwidth, like 1&1 or Strato in Germany.

3. gg234

gg234 New Member

try ntop

you can try ntop for checking bandwidth usage for some time and then you can proceed

www.ntop.org