DEV environment specs

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by Stelios, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Stelios

Stelios Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,

I would like to setup a couple of VMs local in my PC with Virtualbox in order to make some tests before deployment to the production system (multi-server).
    My question is if ISPconfig works (the installer) with local IPs and names that don't actually resolve over the internet or if it needs for some reason a real public IP.

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It is fine to use local IP addresses. Just take care that you configure the hostname in /etc/hosts of the server so it can resolve itself.

3. michelangelo

michelangelo Active Member

ISPConfig generally works also with local IPs.
    Just make sure that you have a working DNS setup so that the ISPConfig servers can resolve each other.

4. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It works fine. Personally I use a cheap VPS from Hetzner as main testing box, and local VM's to test new features/bug fixes.

5. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have an old rack server where I have installed Proxmox. That is very nice for testing multiserver setups and ISPConfig in general.
    The server is very noisy, though. Put it in another room or something.

6. Stelios

Stelios Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

I've got a very powerful computer so will run the VMs there as I need many to simulate exactly my live environment.

7. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

What about mail and dns server? Will their tests work in this environment?

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes.

9. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

For my DNS tutorial, I set up three ISPConfig server in my office Proxmox. Though servers only run in the Intranet, I could test and verify everything about DNS setup and could set up PTR records.
    For my e-mail tutorial, I set up the ISPConfig server on OVH hosting, I figured I can not get certificates if server is not accessible from public Internet, and e-mail setup would need to be non-standard.