* Device #1: Not enough allocatable device memory for this attack.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Robynlep, Feb 8, 2023.

1. Robynlep

Robynlep New Member

I recently had to reinstall Linux on Virtual Box, and I must not have my settings configured correctly, because I am getting the same error every time I run a hashcat command: "* Device #1: Not enough allocatable device memory for this attack."

Any recommendations?

I have tried --force and -D 1

Attached Files:

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I am not use to Virtual Box (VB) but I don't see any memory assigned to that VB based on your picture. In a virtual machine normally we can increase or decrease memory for it, is there anything similar tool that you can use to check and assign/increase the memory for that VB?

3. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Depending on what you are doing with hashcat you need alot of RAM. Setting options like "mask" too big can result in this error too. So either tweak the options or give the machine enough power :)

Robynlep likes this.
  4. Robynlep

Robynlep New Member

Thank you! I was able to find where the memory settings were and bump it up to 4GB. Looks like that fixed the issue. I appreciate the help.

ahrasis likes this.
  5. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Glad to hear you found out how to add the memory to it but generally we don't need that much though you can surely assign that much memory or more. Just ensure you have enough swap file too as backup as antivirus may use you ram at max so swap will become handy and necessary.