Did ISPCONFIG3 update and amavisd got broken.... fixed but....

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by craig baker, Aug 13, 2022.

1. craig baker

craig baker Member HowtoForge Supporter

I did an update from x.7 to x.8 and said yes to reconfigure services. then amavisd failed to start.
    Code:
    root@ns10 log]# systemctl status amavisd.service
    ● amavisd.service - Amavis mail content checker
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/amavisd.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2022-08-13 14:16:14 EDT; 5s ago
         Docs: http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/#doc
      Process: 112363 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/amavisd -c /etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf (code=exited, status=255)
     Main PID: 2398 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Aug 13 14:16:14 ns10.cdbsystems.com systemd[1]: amavisd.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
    Aug 13 14:16:14 ns10.cdbsystems.com systemd[1]: amavisd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Aug 13 14:16:14 ns10.cdbsystems.com systemd[1]: Failed to start Amavis mail content checker.
    upon comparing I notice that the server was listed as 'ns10' in the new file and 'ns10.cdbsystems.com' in the older file.

putting the FQDN in the new amavisd.conf indeed had it start up but couple of questions - shouldn't the reconfigure services keep the existing fqdn? and is there anywhere else that the update might have inadvertently broken that I've not noticed yet????

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2022
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The most likely reason for your issue is a wrong configuration of your system hostname in /etc/hosts or /etc/hostname file. The update is using the hostname that you configured in your server, if it's configured wrong so that Linux system utils like hostname command are failing, then the config in other subsystems like amavis must break. What needs to be fixed is the hostname setup and not amavis.

Please post the result of the following two commands:

hostname
    hostname -f

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022