difference between aliasdomain and subdomain in ISPConfig 3

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by torusturtle, Sep 22, 2008.

1. torusturtle

torusturtle ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

What is the difference in behavior of those to domains?

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Both will end up as Alias entry in the vhost. The difference is that a subdomain is always a subdomain of the main domain of the site. Example:

Subdomain: office.domain.com

While aaliasdomains can be a different domain:

Aliasdomain: otherdomain.com

This has been splitted because users complained that they were not able to lock their customers down in ispconfig 2 to add only subdomains of their own domains and not other domains as the co-domain faeture in ispconfig 2 allows it.

Gwyneth Llewelyn likes this.
  3. torusturtle

torusturtle ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Yes, this is a great feature. Thanks for adding it.

4. jackl

jackl New Member

Hi Till/Falko,

I have the same issue with ISPConfig3 which I just recently installed (changed from ISPCP-Omega) I found ISPConfig to have more options that I needed.

By default ISPConfig3 is not creating ServerAlias directive, is that normal? I added website as www.website.com and it properly redirect to a default Welcome to website page if I use www.website.com but browser displays It Works! only if I use website.com. I tried using Alias domain:
    Domain: website.com
    Parent Website: www.website.com
    RedirectType: L
    Redirect Path: www.website.com

and I get error 400.

Is there a work around to this?

Thanks a lot!

Jack L

-----------------------------
    Hi Till/Falko,

Never mind... thanks! I found the fix for it my bad I asked too soon :( the answer is in Alias Domain, I added a Website website.com then add an Alias Domain www.website.com without any redirection and it works.

But Till/Falko, why does it make the alias www.www.website.com when I add Website www.website.com then add an alias website.com? is it a bug?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  5. Thomas Jensen

Thomas Jensen New Member

Is it possible to choose which folder the subdomain should point at? Or how should they be used?

6. till

Yes, thats possible. Just create the folder and then set the folder as redirect path in the subdomain settings like this:

/foldername/

Make sure that you have a / at the beginning and the end.

7. Thomas Jensen

Thomas Jensen New Member

Works just fine, thank you.

8. nixx

nixx New Member

My alias domain mydomain2.com with redirect to /mydir/ is not redirecting, but instead it points to the web-root (directory /web/) of the main domain. If have tried all redirect types, unfortunatly without success.

What am I doing wrong?

Alias domain:

Domain mydomain2.com
    Parent website mydomain.com
    Redirect type L
    Redirect pad /mydir/
    Auto-Subdomain *.
    Active v

The server is just new installed and there are no special settings applied. Also there are no URL-rewrite settings or other .htaccess settings. Thanks in advance for your help...

9. clixclix

clixclix ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Similar issue

Hi everybody,
    first of all, thanks to till&falko for their great job.

I've just installed Ispconfig 3.0.1.3 on a fresh debian5.0

I've configured a website example.com with the "Auto-Subdomain" option set to "*."

At this point, the "/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/example.com.vhost" file correctly contains the following lines:

Code:
        ServerName [I]example[/I].com
        ServerAlias *.[I]example[/I].com

Then, I tried to add an Aliasdomain like this:

Domain: example.net
    Parent Website: example.com
    Auto-Subdomain: *.
    Active: yes

and I expected the example.com.vhost file to contain an additional line such as:
    Code:
        ServerAlias *.[I]example[/I].net

but it didn't appear, and apache continued showing the "It Works" page on any "*.example.net" http request.

I also tried to repeat the operation in many different ways, configuring the Aliasdomain with some kind of Redirection, but I didn't notice any action on the "example.com.vhost" file.

It looks like the 3.0.1.3 version has some kind of bug on this feature, or I'm just not lucky today...

Thank you in advance for any help on such issue.

Claudio

10. till

Look at the monitor if there are any errors. Also be aware that it takes some time until changes are applied.

Please make a new thread the next time as your problem is not related to this thread.