Differences between "vi" and "nano"...

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by schneid, Jul 17, 2007.

1. schneid

schneid New Member

Hello there.

mostly, when I edit some of the configuration files in a terminal mode, i usually think about the differences of the two; vi and nano.

When I used nano or we can say pico, it just like an editor on a notepad wherein it's easy to used and there is some commands there in the bottom that you can write, exit, etc. I usually used ctrl+o and save in that directory.

While i'm using vi, i dont know how to save it and for me its hard to manipulate. From friendt say that i will used shift+":"+wq in order to save.

Im to confuse but I rather choose nano or pico instead...

Those who are concerned, type it here. I will appreciate it.

2. Ben

Ben ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

It depends on what you want to do with it.
    vi you will find in nearly every linux distribution by default. Sure the newer ones sometimes switch to "more comfortable" editors. Nevertheless, if you once sit in front of an old box, e.g. with solaris 8 and have to change anything there you would be happy about knowledge on the "old" vi, cause there won't be any nano,pico... by default.

In case the above mentioned "problem" is not applicable for you and you just want the "comfort" of seeing sth. like a controlbar, then I would use nano.

But for me vim is fine.

And here some helpfull commands for vi

3. Anteaus

Anteaus New Member

I generally install Midnight Commander for commandline work ('apt-get install mc' on a debian/ubuntu box) -it's still not all that ergonomic, but it's a vast improvement on vi.

4. schneid

schneid New Member

Generally, vi is the oldest or default of the linux text editor.

BEN, these commands here, how can I used this???

Can you specify it.

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

6. Ben

Ben ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

@schneid: when you edit a file in vi / vim, just type them ;)

7. schneid

schneid New Member

Ok I got it. When I use vi/vim as my text editor, I will type those command and it will automatically know what letter I choose. Such as "i", it will tell you that you can now insert or edit the file and press"esc" to cancel insert then press "shift+:+"w"+"q" to write and quit.

That's it. Thank you guys, with out you, until now I dont know how to use that vi/vim thing. :)

Falko and Ben, your the best.