Different server name after install

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by onur, Jun 18, 2020.

1. onur

onur New Member

Hello everyone,

I installed ISPConfig to my Ubunu 18.04 server by following the instructions in this page.
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...l-pureftpd-bind-postfix-doveot-and-ispconfig/

I entered to related fields server.mywebsite.com during installation process instead of command line recommended to me different servername that provideds from company that I buyed server.
    When installation finished successfully, I displayed the server name that command line provideds to me in config page.

In this case, is everything is OK or is there any problem in the ISPConfig background?
    By the way, should I change the servername which is I entered while installation to the default servername that hosting provider company gives to me?

Have a good day, thanks a lot.

2. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

the hosting provider company can give your server any name they like, and long as their system resolves that to the ip of the server they'll be happy.
    you can give the actual OS whatever servername you want. as long as you have a (on both server and your local pc) hosts file that contains the correct name and ip, or a valid domain name and dns zone that points everyone to it's ip, then you're happy too.