Direct file path to client files

Discussion in 'General' started by JamesShijie, Jul 6, 2010.

1. JamesShijie

JamesShijie New Member

Hi all,

I've finally gotten ispconfig 3 working, and it's a great program. I'm very pleased.

I do have a quick question, however. Is it possible (like in cPanel) to supply a server path to a client's files, before they point the DNS over there? Example:

Code:
    host.servername.com/~clientdomain.com
    And it would display the client's site he or she has put there so far, without having to propagate dns to do so. Right now, my ispconfig is putting all my clients and users in /var/www, which isn't accessible by the web (probably for security) -- Is there any way to access this, or change this so that it puts everything in a web-gettable directory? I need to test some things out with a server migration before I point the DNS over.

Thanks in advance!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. JamesShijie

JamesShijie New Member

Ok, I did that, but now I still can't access it. The full filepath on my server is:
    Code:
    /var/www/client/client1/targetdirectory.com

"Targetdirectory.com" being a symlink that ispconfig put in there.

So how would I get to that via my server?
    http://server.example.com/~targetdirectory.com doesn't work.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

5. JamesShijie

JamesShijie New Member

Ummm, no.

Hi, thanks for your reply,

I'm not 100% you're understanding what I mean.

I have a website. It's already running. It's on another server. I have this new server. It just got ispconfig installed on it. I'd like to TEST to see if the site works, before I point the dns over to there. Putting www.mysite.com in the hosts file doesn't do a dang thing.

I need a way that, I can type www.myservername.com/mysite.com or SOMETHING, it will bring up the files I have for that client. Is that possible? putting something in /etc/hosts doesn't do anything if the DNS is pointed somewhere completely different.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

7. Toucan

Toucan Member

Maybe I can explain in laymans terms...

DNS tells your browser where to find (which IP) the site you are look for.

By editing the host file, your browser/PC won't do a DNS lookup for that site as it already knows the IP where to find the site.

Your browser, for that domain name (even if it already exists pointing to another server) will use the host file entry and will go straight to that server regardless of DNS settings and the virtual host will serve the correct site (because it's in the header).

So, you can have two versions of the site up and running; your existing site which the world can see as DNS sends it there and your duplicate site (yes, using the same name) hosted on your Ispconfig server which only you will be able to get to because your PC has an edited hosts file.... ignore the signs by the side of the road, you have a map!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  8. JamesShijie

JamesShijie New Member

Now I understand. I'm editing my CLIENT host file, not my server's. Local pc, not remote server. I feel pretty sheepish now. Thanks for your help.

9. midcarolina

midcarolina New Member

I am having a similar problem in ISPConfig 3 using Fedora 14 x86_64

I am using REAL and valid DNS. I loaded a new domain with a basic wordpress site just to test. Several odd things are happening. First the site worked well when live. I happened to have placed a javascript Google ad on the homepage and clicked to see if info was being sent back and forth. All seemed fine, except I started getting 500 internal server errors when clicking posts or pages. When I checked the filepath, ISPConfig was expecting me to put in the /web/domain.com, which from root, this would be /var/www/web/domain.com. This path does not exist.

When I checked the error logs, the filepath was /var/www/domain.com/web (backwards). The servername is webserver.domain.com. This also rendered the site, which it shouldn't, correct? also, webserver.domain.com:8080 is supposed to work in the same way that the static IP for the machine does, 192.168.1.XX:8080 (Which takes you to ISPConfig login). However webserver.domain.com:8080 takes you to the router login. I checked all the modem ports and they are all open. I am really wondering several things. Why doesn't webserver.domain.com:8080 resolve ISPConfig, and why is the practice website running on the server name and its domain name.

Oh, last thought....file path. Now ISPConfig (with real DNS in place) is sending the site files to /var/www/client/client1/domain.com/web which is not visible to the web.